Will this leak??? Any Good???

-
I guess it will if you over tighten the pan.

Proper torque and installation procedure is the answer and make sure your bolt holes are not cupped from being too tight. You can repair the cupped holes with a small ball peen hammer and another hammer to strike it with on the edge of your work bench. While you are at it make sure the pan is not warped with a straight edge. Look up the proper torque number and don't exceed it.

I guess it will if you over tighten the pan.

Proper torque and installation procedure is the answer and make sure your bolt holes are not cupped from being too tight. You can repair the cupped holes with a small ball peen hammer and another hammer to strike it with on the edge of your work bench. While you are at it make sure the pan is not warped with a straight edge. Look up the proper torque number and don't exceed it.

Do you use any sealer? Thanks for your help...

Yeah, I use the red stuff that comes in a metal can with a built in brush. Just put it on the pan side so the gasket is "glued" to the removable part.

This stuff:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/988/22862/ITEM/Permatex-High-Tack-Gasket-Sealant.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA988&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CJHZnoeiprcCFc0WMgodzwwAhg

I dont use any sealant on trans pan gaskets made of rubber. I do put a lot of time in correcting the pan so it is a flat as the mating surface/bottom of the case.
I think over tightening and re tightening are the most common errors.

I never use sealer on transmission pans, but some people do successfully. I do however like to use 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive to glue it to the pan and simply hold it in place. Like cuda65vpt said, if you overtorque the bolts (a LOT of people do) the pan WILL leak. The torque on them is only like 8 foot pounds. Maybe less. If you torque the pan until the pan touches the transmission case, you've over torqued it.

Yes exactly!!! Use the Yellow weather stripping adhesive is a great idea!!!
I use this method also, Just to hold the gasket in place.

let me
I never use sealer on transmission pans, but some people do successfully. I do however like to use #M yellow weatherstrip adhesive to glue it to the pan and simply hold it in place. Like cuda65vpt said, if you overtorque the bolts (a LOT of people do) the pan WILL leak. The torque on them is only like 8 foot pounds. Maybe less. If you torque the pan until the pan touches the transmission case, you've over torqued it.

first make sure the pan is flat, as staded above. i use sealer. i butter very thin to hold gasket in place and help seal it. then tighten to spec do not and i repeat do not over tighten

Go to the dealer and the get rubber composite gasket for the 46RH. It's reusable too. Problem solved.

That Victor-Reinz gasket should be fine. I straighten the pan if necessary, (pay attention around the bolt holes) then I use the permatex spray sealant(used to be called "Hi-Tack" comes out red & sticky) on both sides of the gasket & on the pan. Follow the can's instructions & you shouldn't go wrong. You don't need to use a lot. Snug the bolts down & then torque them in a criss-cross pattern. Don't over-tighten them!

I believe poisondart said it best. If that's the gasket that has the little spacers in it around the bolts, it's golden. At that point you can't overtighten it.

It DOES require hammering your pan back straight, or replacing with new, though.

Thought the gasket on my 99 Ram was leaking. Turned out to be rust and pin holes in the pan. Had to get a new trans pan used a reusable gasket. I put the gasket on the pan then took sting and put it through a few holes of the pan and gasket to hold it in place til I started the bolts. Then cut the string pulled it out. Installed those bolts and torqued them all to specs. Didn't use sealer. No leaks.

If yours is leaking from the flange gasket area, warped flange is my guess too.
And as others have said you'll have to straighten it some how.

-
Back