Will this pass tech?

-

Burntorange70

Reaction score
Was going to go with Lexan side glass and light weight inner door handles. Seen this at a car show and if you look down at the lower right you will see a hole in the lexan so you can open the door from the outside too and then delete the outer door handle as well.

Thinking of going this way unless it will not pass tech. Any one know?

Thanks for the help all.

Attachments

• 221739_1966689685303_1184753564_2327511_453976_n.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 379
Found this.

BODY
Body must be on NHRA Accepted Bodies list.
Customizing, chopping, channeling, etc. permitted, but must retain
full-bodied appearance with minimum 2 functional doors. Doors
must open and close from inside and outside. Glass may be
replaced with Lexan or other shatterproof material, minimum
thickness 1/8-inch. Side windows need not be operative, but must
be in fully closed position for run. See General Regulations 7:8.

7:8 WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS
Windshields and/or windows on all cars must be of safety glass,
Plexiglas, Lexan, or other shatterproof material, minimum 1/8-inch
thick, per Class Requirements. In Championship, Heads-up
classes, windshields and/or windows must be clear, without tinting
or coloring, except factory-tinted safety glass. In all other
applications, windshield/window tint must meet applicable state
requirements. Competition-number decals are permitted on any
window, windshield, or backlite, except as noted in Class
Requirements.
Tape of any kind prohibited on any windshield or window

Hmmmm?

The link I posted is a 2011 rulebook, maybe there has been some updating since 2008.

It looks to me like that cart is built to race, seems silly to do all that work, then do something that wouldn't pass tech.

As always though best to be sure.

Since you can open from inside and outside, I think yes.

Call an inspector, not the local track guys, the chassis guy and ask.

Ya thats what I thought too. Just making sure. Don't want to shave the outer handles only to have to put them back on and replace the lexan.

Just go to the NHRA web site and email your question, they will reply and you will have that responce to show the tech inspector at your track.

I'll bet money that it would not pass proper tech. In an accident, how are the rescue people suppose to know how to open the door in the heat of the moment - and that can be taken literally, in case of fire. You may not be able to get out on your own.

Another angle is that when you race, windows are suppose to be rolled up. I interpret that as basically the inside of the car being sealed from the outside. It's not sealed with an access hole in it.

Save the shaved door handles for custom street rods.

I'll bet money that it would not pass proper tech. In an accident, how are the rescue people suppose to know how to open the door in the heat of the moment - and that can be taken literally, in case of fire. You may not be able to get out on your own.

Another angle is that when you race, windows are suppose to be rolled up. I interpret that as basically the inside of the car being sealed from the outside. It's not sealed with an access hole in it.

x2. your a$$ could be on the line.

I sent them an E mail. Will see what they say when they get back to me. If they get back to me. Thanks for your help and input all.

hi, in a word, uhhh nope. has to have external door handles!!!!!! I seen a duster at a race,no handles on doors, no racee!!! like man said, in case of fire or upset, no way to get in to you. just food for thought.

Yep, ext door handles. Whey do you think the battery switch is out side and always push to shut?

it should pass unless your tech guy is a ***. there are tons of promod cars and bracket racers that are done this way. I help with 2 ADRL XTF cars that are done this way with no tech issues.

Oh crap. here we go again. You never know what track/ idiot inspectors you deal with today?

I have seen a bunch of promod cars at my track that use them. They are going in the 7s and they pass but I agree with meeting with an inspector

:-k................:scratch:...........:book:.......:dontknow:....................................................:drinkers::drinkers::drinkers::drinkers: :-D

Just have to see if they get back to me. Thanks all.

runs 11.50's... has no issues passing tech...

Attachments

• 101_4305.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 234

my 70 satellite had shaved door handles i ended up putting a peice of sheetmetal to the latch between the door and window with a small roll in it above the top of the door.pull it up it opened.they told me you had to have a way to get in from outside.they passed my latch pull

-
Back