Wilwood and the Spindle confusion

Discussion in 'Brakes for your Classic Mopar' started by S.Rodney, Jan 11, 2019.

1. S.Rodney

S.Rodney Active Member

Local Time:
    9:41 PM
    Sup,

A few months ago, I did mention on the FABO forum that I'd buy the 140-11019 or 140-11019-D Wilwood kit for my 1974 Dodge Dart "Hang 10".

I've seen many posts about SBP/BBP, Disc Spindles, Drum Spindles, up to 72, 73 and up, 2" drop spindles, etc., etc., etc.

Initially, I checked on Jegs and Summit for that kit and, both would say it fits my Dart... Then a few weeks ago, when I checked again, Jegs suddenly mentions "2 inch drop spindles". So I go on Wilwood, check the product directly... it says "magnum force 2 inch drop spindle". I go on Summit, it only mentions "disc spindles". Even the instructions PDF on the Summit website never mentions anything about a "magnum force 2 inch drop spindle".

So I check the spindle in image... I check various websites and I notice that some parts websites list a specific disc spindle as A/B/E body Disc spindle...

Wilwood says it doesn't fit (e-mail) but I'm kinda skeptic... Not in a "I don't wanna acknowledge it doesn't fit" but rather "Why does it suddenly not fit anymore when the previous instructions shows it fits ?"

Anyway, if you have the 140-11019 kit installed, can you confirm exactly which spindle you got on ?

2. S.Rodney

S.Rodney Active Member

Local Time:
    I searched around for another aftermarket kit and found BAER Brakes with beefy kits from 11 to 14 inch rotors !

They advertise them as B/E-Body Mopar compatible but do list 73-76 Darts "OE disc spindle" compatible. So, I've reached them and asked to clarify if I need a B/E Spindle or keep my 74 OE Spindles...

Looks like I'm going for Baer brakes instead of Wilwood.

3. 383Scampman

383Scampman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I am as confused as you are ! But for clarity , there is a big difference between a-body factory disc spindles and a-body drum spindles . the disc spindles are longer so therefore the caliper bracket si longer . The hubs are most likely the same . The Wilwood hubs have 2 bolt patterns . one for 4" bolt circle and one for 4 1/2" bolt circle . There are different brackets for the system with the large rotors (makes sense) . What Wilwood trys to do is make a few hubs work for as many applications as possible while offsetting the caliper bracket to accommodate individual applications . they also offer street kits and race kits . the difference is the race kits have 3" studs for aluminum wheels . Again , makes sense . So, if this helps , a lot of their parts are interchangeable .

4. myduster360

myduster360 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:41 PM
    imo You're good. 140-11019(D, DR, ect) fit the 73 and up disk spindle including MF drop spindle.

I've looked into all variations of Wilwood kits as it pertains to spindles when I as exploring options for my 72 swinger. As far I can tell, the 140-11019 had long been available for the "Disk" spindle but needed a slight revise to ALSO accommodate the MF Drop spindle. Most likely for MF's goofy flat head bolts it uses for the ball joint.

5. S.Rodney

S.Rodney Active Member

Local Time:
    I've replied to Wilwood's initial answer that I don't understand why "the kit suddenly doesn't fit anymore" as it was listed for A-Body disc spindles a few months ago. Here's their answer.

6. myduster360

myduster360 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:41 PM
    The 140-11019 kit has been around a while and i'm certain it wasn't always a MF ONLY kit.
    Here's a member has it installed on his 73 Disk brake spindle back in 2013. He installed it no problem but his aftermarket rims rub.
    wilwood disc brake ?????

upload_2019-1-15_8-13-30.png

7. S.Rodney

S.Rodney Active Member

Local Time:
    Wilwood answered my last e-mail (not going to question them further)
    I'm not going to take any chances, I'll go for a Baer Brakes kit. Also, I think the Baer kit is more maintenance friendly than Wilwood's as i can replace the rotor without removing the hub from the spindle (big plus for me).

• Agree Agree x 1