Wilwood brake install 1975 dart

-
Ok, so, in the front you need to have a 5.25" to 5.6" backspace with a 17" rim. Both wheels have options, the AR's have a 17x8 with a 5.625" backspace that should work, the Coys have an 18x8 with a 5.5" backspace. Either should work in the front.

In the back it depends on a couple things. You say you have an 8 3/4 axle, but that would not have been stock for a '75 A-body. Do you know the width of the rear axle? Does it have the 5x4.5" bolt pattern? 8 3/4's come in a bunch of different widths, which will determine the backspace you need.
I’m not too sure about rear end or what year it’s out of it does have a 5x 4.5 bolt pattern
But I am not sure about backspace

Ok, so, in the front you need to have a 5.25" to 5.6" backspace with a 17" rim. Both wheels have options, the AR's have a 17x8 with a 5.625" backspace that should work, the Coys have an 18x8 with a 5.5" backspace. Either should work in the front.

In the back it depends on a couple things. You say you have an 8 3/4 axle, but that would not have been stock for a '75 A-body. Do you know the width of the rear axle? Does it have the 5x4.5" bolt pattern? 8 3/4's come in a bunch of different widths, which will determine the backspace you need.
Just making sure I’ve got everything right cause as you know the last time I ordered I had to return and don’t wanna do that again
661CE492-FAC2-40C1-9861-FCDD2AFF298D.png

Just making sure I’ve got everything right cause as you know the last time I ordered I had to return and don’t wanna do that again
View attachment 1715549689

Only question I have is the front mount. You said in your other thread that this is a '69 Dart with '75 Dart spindles, that makes a difference. If you want to run a front sway bar, it would be better to use the 'rear mount" option to improve your sway bar clearance. That does depend on which sway bar you use, if you use one that doesn't use the factory sway bar tab locations (like the Hellwig 55917) it probably doesn't matter. If you use one that does use the factory sway bar tab locations (like the Hellwig 5906), you may have interference if you go front mount.

I can't say for sure what sway bars will or won't work with the front mounted calipers, because as you can see mine are mounted to the rear.

You could also call DoctorDiff, he's very helpful.

Last edited:
Only question I have is the front mount. You said in your other thread that this is a '69 Dart with '75 Dart spindles, that makes a difference. If you want to run a front sway bar, it would be better to use the 'rear mount" option to improve your sway bar clearance. That does depend on which sway bar you use, if you use one that doesn't use the factory sway bar tab locations (like the Hellwig 55917) it probably doesn't matter. If you use one that does use the factory sway bar tab locations (like the Hellwig 5906), you may have interference if you go front mount.

I can't say for sure what sway bars will or won't work with the front mounted calipers, because as you can see mine are mounted to the rear.

Well as you know I want to be able to get the hellwig sway bar

The only thing I’m not sure about is which rear mount option I should use because all are for 72 and older a and b bodies

The only thing I’m not sure about is which rear mount option I should use because all are for 72 and older a and b bodies

Right, but you have a ‘69 Dart yes? They all use the same spindles, you’d keep your ‘75 spindles. The front vs rear mount calipers deals with the location of the sway bar end links. If you use a sway bar that uses the ‘69 sway bar end link locations you’ll need the rear mount calipers. If you use a sway bar that uses the later sway bar end link locations then you can probably use the front mount calipers.

I have the rear mount calipers on my car, it’s a ‘74.

If you’re not sure, just call DoctorDiff and tell him what you’re doing and what parts you have, he’ll set you straight.

Right, but you have a ‘69 Dart yes? They all use the same spindles, you’d keep your ‘75 spindles. The front vs rear mount calipers deals with the location of the sway bar end links. If you use a sway bar that uses the ‘69 sway bar end link locations you’ll need the rear mount calipers. If you use a sway bar that uses the later sway bar end link locations then you can probably use the front mount calipers.

If you’re not sure, just call DoctorDiff and tell him what you’re doing and what parts you have, he’ll set you straight.
Alright I’ll definitely do that tomorrow thanks again for your help I’ll make sure to put a picture here when it’s done

7F4A61BD-9254-4BF5-8E90-79C2AFA51098.png

I tried calling him he still hasn’t gotten back to me but I reread your earlier message and I think I get what your saying, now I just have one more lol am I going to need the upper ball joint adapter and the lower ball joints?

7F4A61BD-9254-4BF5-8E90-79C2AFA51098.png

View attachment 1715550232
I tried calling him he still hasn’t gotten back to me but I reread your earlier message and I think I get what your saying, now I just have one more lol am I going to need the upper ball joint adapter and the lower ball joints?

View attachment 1715550232

If the ‘75 spindles are already mounted on the car then no, because you already have the large ball joint UCA’s and disk lower ball joints.

Alright I ordered them and is the am wheels I sent you earlier in the thread really the only option I have because every other thing I find doesn’t have the backspace

I’m really trying to get 18 inch wheels cause after obviously a lot of suspension work I eventually want the car to sit more or less close to this

F1AA3622-1370-430D-8164-2A90719C2543.png

So I recently ordered hotchkis sway bars DODGE DART Hotchkis Sport Suspension 22385F Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits | Summit Racing cause the hellwig sway bar wasn’t available and it didn’t even line up with the stock sway bar endlink tabs which now is making me ask the question does that mean I might need to get a sway bar for a 75 dart I know the the spindles are from a 75 dart but now I’m not sure if the K Frame could also be from a 75 dart anyway I can check that?

So I recently ordered hotchkis sway bars DODGE DART Hotchkis Sport Suspension 22385F Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits | Summit Racing cause the hellwig sway bar wasn’t available and it didn’t even line up with the stock sway bar endlink tabs which now is making me ask the question does that mean I might need to get a sway bar for a 75 dart I know the the spindles are from a 75 dart but now I’m not sure if the K Frame could also be from a 75 dart anyway I can check that?

The engine mounts are the easiest way to tell. Take a look at the pictures here, they show both versions (you’ll have to scroll past the other body styles).

K-Member ID Chart

ID’g the K is important, the later sway bar mounts are different. The later sway bars are a nice improvement compared to the earlier ones, but again, they use different sway bar tab locations too. Always best to identify everything you have if you have mixed and matched parts, it gets really easy to order stuff that won’t fit if you don’t figure out everything you’ve got first.

The engine mounts are the easiest way to tell. Take a look at the pictures here, they show both versions (you’ll have to scroll past the other body styles).

K-Member ID Chart

ID’g the K is important, the later sway bar mounts are different. The later sway bars are a nice improvement compared to the earlier ones, but again, they use different sway bar tab locations too. Always best to identify everything you have if you have mixed and matched parts, it gets really easy to order stuff that won’t fit if you don’t figure out everything you’ve got first.
Yea I checked and I have a 75 K member

I’m not asking for bolt by bolt directions but what would I have to take out to get the torsion bar out without fighting it too much? I bought the firm feel 1.12 bars which I’m pretty sure you have to pair with those I got hotchkis struts and hopefully if they become available sometime soon hellwig sway bars

I’m not asking for bolt by bolt directions but what would I have to take out to get the torsion bar out without fighting it too much? I bought the firm feel 1.12 bars which I’m pretty sure you have to pair with those I got hotchkis struts and hopefully if they become available sometime soon hellwig sway bars

Here is a good reference thread. how to remove the torsion bars??

Also, if you Google torsion bar removal dart, there is a few videos. It's pretty simple, but some can fight, just due to the age.

Yea I checked and I have a 75 K member

Then the 22385 is the wrong sway bar. You need the 22386, which is currently unavailable. You'll have to call Hotchkis, I know they've been having issues getting materials, just like a lot of companies right now.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension 22386F Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits | Summit Racing

It does look like the Hellwig 55905 is currently available, that's the front bar I have on my '74 Duster.

1973 DODGE DART Hellwig 55905 Hellwig Motorsports Tubular Sway Bars | Summit Racing

Put the car up on jackstands and make sure it's secure. Pull the torsion bar clips, then remove the shock and break the LCA free of the spindle at the lower ball joint. Then unbolt the strut rod and undo the LCA pivot nut. With that done you can use the LCA as a lever to push the torsion bar back and out. If they’re really stuck you can use a pry bar between the LCA and K frame, or a dead blow hammer so as not to damage the LCA. Super easy, no special tool required, and no chance of damaging the surface of the bar. It sounds like a lot, but if you’re rebuilding the suspension it all has to come out anyway. And even if you’re not, most of it has to come off to reinstall the torsion bars anyway.

Then the 22385 is the wrong sway bar. You need the 22386, which is currently unavailable. You'll have to call Hotchkis, I know they've been having issues getting materials, just like a lot of companies right now.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension 22386F Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits | Summit Racing

It does look like the Hellwig 55905 is currently available, that's the front bar I have on my '74 Duster.

1973 DODGE DART Hellwig 55905 Hellwig Motorsports Tubular Sway Bars | Summit Racing

Put the car up on jackstands and make sure it's secure. Pull the torsion bar clips, then remove the shock and break the LCA free of the spindle at the lower ball joint. Then unbolt the strut rod and undo the LCA pivot nut. With that done you can use the LCA as a lever to push the torsion bar back and out. If they’re really stuck you can use a pry bar between the LCA and K frame, or a dead blow hammer so as not to damage the LCA. Super easy, no special tool required, and no chance of damaging the surface of the bar. It sounds like a lot, but if you’re rebuilding the suspension it all has to come out anyway. And even if you’re not, most of it has to come off to reinstall the torsion bars anyway.
And a good 2 years later these directions ended up working beautifully got very distracted and lazy with the car but I’m back wrenching on it whenever I can trying to work on some of the little things like why my ignition cylinder just comes out whenever I pull it too hard and why doesn’t my car start with the key slowly trying to diagnose that while still trying to see how I can get the front/rear sway bar on

-
Back