wilwood brakes

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I installed a set of dynalite pro brakes on the front of my barracuda, still have rear drums. They are manual brakes and are still very stiff and do not work like they should for being 4 piston calipers on the front. I came to the conclusion that I need to upgrade master cylinders to push them, any ideas on what size bore I might need?
I did put the residual pressure valve in for the rear drums, and I do have a proportioning valve installed.

Thanks,
Brad

It depends what size of pistons are in your Wilwood brakes. Most of the Wilwood calipers have tiny pistons which reduces the brake force. So when you install one of their kits, your stopping power goes down. That is why you are having to press harder on the brake pedal. The only way to fix that problem is to redesign the rest of the brake system to match the tiny front brakes. Put the smallest rear wheel cylinders on there that you can find and use the smallest master cylinder piston size.

It depends what size of pistons are in your Wilwood brakes. Most of the Wilwood calipers have tiny pistons which reduces the brake force. So when you install one of their kits, your stopping power goes down. That is why you are having to press harder on the brake pedal. The only way to fix that problem is to redesign the rest of the brake system to match the tiny front brakes. Put the smallest rear wheel cylinders on there that you can find and use the smallest master cylinder piston size.
I installed a proportioning valve to lessen the pressure getting put to the rear drums, I was under the impression my master cylinder is now not strong enough to push those 8 pistons on the front calipers?

I have the same problem on my car. Pretty unimpressed with the system.

The number of pistons in the caliper doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the effective area of the caliper piston(s). The stock system has one large piston and it works okay. When you replace the stock caliper with a Wilwood caliper that has four small pistons the total area goes down. When the area goes down the brake force goes down. That means that you have to press harder on the pedal to stop the car.

Don't get hung up on the fact that you have 4 piston calipers rather than 1 piston. If the area is less then the brake force is less. It doesn't matter how many pistons you have, just the amount of area.

-
Back