Wilwood Front Disc Conversion 63 Valiant

-

CaseyW

Reaction score
Greetings,

I would like to purchase the Wilwood front disc brake conversion kit for my 63 valiant. I'm asking for help in identifying what additional parts I will need, and hopefully getting some part numbers.
I would like a stock looking master cylinder. I'm keeping the drums in the back.
What size bore?
Disc/Drum or Drum/Drum???
Will I need a residual pressure valve for the drums?
Will I need a proportioning valve?
Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

I put this kit on my '70 duster excellent upgrade..I used the Wilwood master that looks like a Mopar unit and the Wilwood proportioning valve..not sure about keeping the stock master,had no intentions of keeping mine..

Greetings,

I would like to purchase the Wilwood front disc brake conversion kit for my 63 valiant. I'm asking for help in identifying what additional parts I will need, and hopefully getting some part numbers.
I would like a stock looking master cylinder. I'm keeping the drums in the back.
What size bore?
Disc/Drum or Drum/Drum???
Will I need a residual pressure valve for the drums?
Will I need a proportioning valve?
Anything else?

7/8" master
No
Maybe, I didn't.
If the kit doesn't come with braided flex lines get them
If you get a new master cylinder get the offset bracket for it. You need an adapter for a Wilwood master anyhow. So you might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.
If you want line lock, do it now.

I put this kit on my '70 duster excellent upgrade..I used the Wilwood master that looks like a Mopar unit and the Wilwood proportioning valve..not sure about keeping the stock master,had no intentions of keeping mine..
Hey,
Don't want to keep the stock master, just want a more stock looking one. Don't want the Willwood master as it is not the look i'm going for. I did notice too that the wilwood masters are two bolts through the firewall, whereas mine stock on had 4 bolts.
Did you add a residual pressure valve for the back?

7/8" master
No
Maybe, I didn't.
If the kit doesn't come with braided flex lines get them
If you get a new master cylinder get the offset bracket for it. You need an adapter for a Wilwood master anyhow. So you might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.
If you want line lock, do it now.
Thanks. I'm mainly interested in a set-up without the wilwood master, too shiny for my taste.

Thanks. I'm mainly interested in a set-up without the wilwood master, too shiny for my taste.

The Wilwood master I have is anodized matte black. Less shiny than a factory piece.

But if you are looking for a factory master, see if you can find a 7/8" piston.

You can buy a 4 to 2 bolt adapter plate for $30 on ebay. Surprised the Wilwood kit didn't include one. 7/8" bore would be smart for manual brakes w/ front disks. Seems like all cars today have brake boosters. You need a strong leg to stop a disk car otherwise. Perhaps SmartForTwo cars get by without a booster.

RMS sells a 4 to 2 bolt that is also an adapter.

I have 4 wheels wilwwod discs on mine and use the 7/8" master. Feels like power brakes. My wife couldn't tell it wasn't power brakes!

-
Back