Wilwood front kits 69 Barracuda

-

Kazman

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Wilwood’s front disk brake kit for cars with factory front disk? Recently? I read conflicting info that the hubs support both 5x4.00 AND 5x4.50 bolt circle. Guy at Wilwood told me it supports 5x4.5 and 5x4.75. NO 5x4.00. I want to stay with SBC so I don’t have to change rears and all 4 rims. Anyone? I’m looking at kit part number 140-15459-D. Thanks!

If you want to keep your wheels, you need to be concerned with more than the bolt pattern. The size of the Wilwood hub is larger than will fit the center register on factory 5x4" wheels and probably 5x4.5" wheels. If you already have aftermarket wheels, then maybe they'll fit.

Thanks S’cuder. That’s my next item to check on my aftermarket 15x7 Rallye wheels.

What is your goal? Why do you want to replace the (I'm assuming) factory Kelsey-Hayes calipers? If it is for weight reduction, maybe take a look at SSBC's aluminum calipers. They are supposedly direct replacements for the cast iron K-H calipers. I don't like that company, or its predecessor for a few reasons, but I have no beef with those calipers specifically.

Expensive, but less than a Wilwood kit. Available in black for $100 more.

Kelsey Hayes calipers were good for their time but they have several inherent problems. I’ve owned my car since 06 and I’m now on my fourth set of calipers and I rebuilt the current set two years ago. The biggest problem is the steel pistons rusting against the cast-iron cylinders and causing pits in the cast-iron causing the pistons to “stick”. They work like they have air in the lines but don’t. I tried SSBC a couple years ago. They are NOT direct fit and I ended up returning the calipers for a full refund because of fitment and connection issues. Great support but their product needs refining. In my opinion staying with Kelsey Hayes is just prolonging inevitable problems. There are just no inexpensive options for my situation. I just checked and my current rims won’t fit the Wilwood hub anyway, so back to square one. It’s looking like I’ll have to go Wilwood on all four corners, new axles for my eight and three-quarter rear end, and new rims and center caps for the bigger bolt circle. I guess now I can get those Cragar SS mags I always wanted. AHH, the joys of A-body ownership. Insert four letter words here.

One other option is a guy in Long Beach CA who precision machines existing K-H calipers, press fits stainless steel sleeves into the bores with all needed details, and adds better seals. Brakes is all they’ve done since WWII. Downside is shipping costs each way, 3-4 weeks downtime, and $2400 for machining and assembling 2 calipers. But they eliminate all of the problems associated with the old Kelsey Hayes calibers.

I run EBC red brake pads, 7/8 rear wheel cylinders, and pressure bleed my system. I do need to bleed them every two years or so to keep a firm pedal. If you pressure bleed you can get a firm pedal. And periodic bleeding can get very long caliper life. Mine brakes pretty good and its manual brakes. So the KH setups can work pretty good but pressure bleeding is a must to get a firm pedal. I run 15/16 bore master cylinder too to reduce leg effort.

On the Wife's Swinger... they fit both Small and Large bolt pattern...
1969dartswingercleanupweek4 094.JPG
1969dartswingerweek6 079.JPG

Yes they're Wilwood or I wouldn't have responded. I'll look through my pictures, but I'm certainly not taking it apart to look. I know they had left and right part numbers that are backwards to Mopars left and right odd/even. So I know that I took a picture of that. Wheels on the car are reproduction 14" Rallye's.

-
Back