Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder + Brake Booster

-

Deceus

Reaction score
I ordered a brake booster through Advance Auto to go with my Wilwood tandem master cylinder setup. I'm having trouble following the installation instructions. I've seen it stated in a few places to make sure the depth correction plug is in the master cylinder if it's being hooked up to a booster. The problem is, when I do that there's no way the master cylinder will go on the booster because the push rod is too long. It's an adjustable push rod and even when it's backed all the way down and the pushed to the back of the booster I can't get the master cylinder to sit flush. Any ideas? Should I ditch the plug and adjust the push rod? Am I doing something wrong here?

Plugged
yB0qCBg.jpg

As far down as I can make the push rod go
H5w3HxZ.jpg

Amount of adjustment in the push rod
Ix6vgOZ.jpg

maybe the depth correction plug is for their booster with a shorter pin. Take it out and try to get the adjustment . SSBC told me mine should have .020" clearance between the two. I'm trying to figure an accurate way to measure the distances.

I called and asked if they made a shorter plug and they said no. I also asked around a few other popular pages and apparently I'm the only idiot to think of using a booster with a Wilwood master cylinder. The tech suggested I look for a spacer on summit racing but I couldn't find anything that would work. I could possibly buy another 4 to 2 stud adapter from Mancini and cut the studs off to use it as a space but I already trimmed the bottom 2 studs on my booster because I thought I needed the room when I was mocking up the tandem setup to make my hardlines. This will probably work but I'll likely need to buy another booster.

Another option I saw was a "universal" push rod kit. If the rod were a bit longer I wouldn't need a plug. I'm just not sure it'll actually thread in since Mopars are rarely included in the word "universal" I've found. I'll probably try that first and then just bite the bullet and order another booster since the alternative is redoing all of my brake lines.

I called and asked if they made a shorter plug and they said no. I also asked around a few other popular pages and apparently I'm the only idiot to think of using a booster with a Wilwood master cylinder. The tech suggested I look for a spacer on summit racing but I couldn't find anything that would work. I could possibly buy another 4 to 2 stud adapter from Mancini and cut the studs off to use it as a space but I already trimmed the bottom 2 studs on my booster because I thought I needed the room when I was mocking up the tandem setup to make my hardlines. This will probably work but I'll likely need to buy another booster.

Another option I saw was a "universal" push rod kit. If the rod were a bit longer I wouldn't need a plug. I'm just not sure it'll actually thread in since Mopars are rarely included in the word "universal" I've found. I'll probably try that first and then just bite the bullet and order another booster since the alternative is redoing all of my brake lines.
You should contact WILWOOD again because there is a recall on a lot of their tandem master cylenders.

-
Back