Windlace install help

-

joe2018

Reaction score
I know this is a pretty simple process but I haven't done it before and want to get tips from people who have done it before. I'm installing windlace in a 66 cuda.
If anyone has pic's would greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to have to redo/fix my mess up. Seems to be a trend with me lately, lol

Thanks for any input:prayer:

Where did you get the windlace?

:wack:I need some, send it to me and I will install it in my car and tell you how it's done.:roll:

Cuba's need cigars to install them. J/K

They just pop on. I have seen a few people use silicone inside the windlace to keep it on but that is completely unnecessary.

lay it on the ground--- you should be able to see the contours follow the door frame.

start in a corner & push it on--
Lawrence

I know this is a pretty simple process but I haven't done it before and want to get tips from people who have done it before. I'm installing windlace in a 66 cuba.
If anyone has pic's would greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to have to redo/fix my mess up. Seems to be a trend with me lately, lol

Thanks for any input:prayer:

If it's not a formed set of windlace then you can start at the rear quarter seal and work it on making sure to get it tucked in tight on the corners. once you get to the front top you'll see how it ends and trim there.(leave it long until your SURE it's all the way down in the corners and curves.) you can always trim a little but it's darn hard to stretch it.

if it's a formed set then just lay it out like VDART said and just push it on. I use a small plastic mallet to form mine into the corners so I don't damage the windlace AND get it tight to the pinch weld.

On my rear quarter seals I used black weather strip adhesive to pinch the windlace tubing closed (use clothes pin until it's set) and then trimmed back the pinch weld 3/8th 1/2 inch and slid the tubing only into the quarter seal like I used to at the factory. so it's a little long when I first start putting it on but once I trim the pinch weld and glue the tubing in to the seal it's perfect. on the front piece I pinch the tubing again and glue it. do NOT make it an air tight seal, if you do it will hold you door out on the lower bottom corner. it acts just like and inner tube that has air in it.
also the hotter the day the better it forms to the pinchweld.

Awesome loooking Barracuda. Have fun and let us know if you were able to get it in.

Thanks I'll give it a shot this weekend. IT's a '66 cuda, damn phone auto correct.

I bought it from rock auto. was $100 for both doors.

Anyone have pics of the wind lace installed? It would be much appreciated!

Anyone have pics?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forum Runner

Anyone have pics?

I have some from my convertible. I took them while I was waiting on the black weatherstrip glue to arrive, and I never took pic's of the glued ends. it'll take a bit since I'm not home and at a friends house wrenching on his car right now. I should have them up tonight by 4 ish.
as for gluing the top end by the windshield it should look like a sideways 8 (glued in the center to let air out. that way when you glue iin the piece at the quarter seal groove you can make it closed (plus it stops the tubing from peeling away from the pinchweld.

this is the way I do the windlace seal.

here is where it ends at the windshield pillar on the convertible. the hard tops will go right into the top side window seal , we sealed them with black butyl like glue at the factory in 68-73 when I was there (thanks fully I got transferred to a different plant and didn't have to work in that environment anymore). tubing is longer than the pinchweld part on the top also for hardtops just like the quarter seal in picture #3
View attachment DSCF3853.jpg

then it gets pushed on and sized in the corners so that it fit's tight to the curve and doesn't pull out when you got to the floor part(I use a small plastic headed mallet and a rag to get it onto the curve tight)
View attachment DSCF3854.jpg

passengers side quarter window seal and windlace push on part trimmed so the tube is slightly longer and fit's into the quarter seal. you can see where it wants to separate from the pinchweld seal. that gets glued back on to the pinchweld after you seal the end. (I use a dab of super glue to stiffen up that area, but the black weather strip adhesive works too!)
View attachment DSCF3847.jpg

here's the drivers side in the seal and waiting to be glued into place.
View attachment DSCF3855.jpg

close up view of where it goes into the seal.
View attachment DSCF3858.jpg

hope this helps.
Remember there's always other ways to do it that work also. this is just the way I do mine.

Thanks for the pictures and your input!

I have some from my convertible. I took them while I was waiting on the black weatherstrip glue to arrive, and I never took pic's of the glued ends. it'll take a bit since I'm not home and at a friends house wrenching on his car right now. I should have them up tonight by 4 ish.
as for gluing the top end by the windshield it should look like a sideways 8 (glued in the center to let air out. that way when you glue iin the piece at the quarter seal groove you can make it closed (plus it stops the tubing from peeling away from the pinchweld.

this is the way I do the windlace seal.

here is where it ends at the windshield pillar on the convertible. the hard tops will go right into the top side window seal , we sealed them with black butyl like glue at the factory in 68-73 when I was there (thanks fully I got transferred to a different plant and didn't have to work in that environment anymore). tubing is longer than the pinchweld part on the top also for hardtops just like the quarter seal in picture #3
View attachment 1714628904

then it gets pushed on and sized in the corners so that it fit's tight to the curve and doesn't pull out when you got to the floor part(I use a small plastic headed mallet and a rag to get it onto the curve tight)
View attachment 1714628905

passengers side quarter window seal and windlace push on part trimmed so the tube is slightly longer and fit's into the quarter seal. you can see where it wants to separate from the pinchweld seal. that gets glued back on to the pinchweld after you seal the end. (I use a dab of super glue to stiffen up that area, but the black weather strip adhesive works too!)
View attachment 1714628906

here's the drivers side in the seal and waiting to be glued into place.
View attachment 1714628907

close up view of where it goes into the seal.
View attachment 1714628908

hope this helps.
Remember there's always other ways to do it that work also. this is just the way I do mine.
Do you have any pic's of it by the door sill plate? Not sure how to work around it there.
Thanks.

Do you have any pic's of it by the door sill plate? Not sure how to work around it there.
Thanks.
don't have any pic's yet. but you just run the windlace around like you see it in the picture and the sill plate goes on top of the windlace pinch weld part and the tube is on the outside of the carpet retailer ,so the tube can seal the door in that area. the outer step plate/sills just sit on the metal of the door jam. I have had people ask me about the windlace seal being cut,no you do not cut the windlace,it's all one piece that runs from the front to the back of the door.
it's hard to see but the second pic is a better shot even though it's a jeep
red line is your carpet hold down and purple is the outer sill plate.
View attachment !!!!!!!door sills.jpg
you can see the sealing tube/bulb that goes in between the parts. the inner carpet hold down goes over the pinch weld to hold it down and the tube seals against the door.
View attachment !!exmpledoorsill.jpg

hope this helps a little.

Bump. Still can't figure it out. Don't want to mess it up.

-
Back