window regulator repair?

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
rear quarter window regulator 69 dart stripped teeth. About 1 inch long. I have a donor with internal issues. anybody patched in a section?

Yes sir, Only when a replacement regulator cannot be found. Drill a hole an inch or more below the center of the bad section. Cut out the bad section in a V down to your drilled hole. Cut a piece from a donor to fit proper and weld it in. The patch piece doesn't need to match and fill the hole. Tip of the patch piece can run wild there. The hole is only to relieve stress and prevent cracking in the furture.
Be warned though, the quarter windows and regulators are the most agravaiting thing you'll ever R&R ( unless its a vert of course ) so find and fix whatever caused it to strip the gear while you're at it.

I have a regulator from a 70 if you need one PM me

Yes sir, Only when a replacement regulator cannot be found. Drill a hole an inch or more below the center of the bad section. Cut out the bad section in a V down to your drilled hole. Cut a piece from a donor to fit proper and weld it in. The patch piece doesn't need to match and fill the hole. Tip of the patch piece can run wild there. The hole is only to relieve stress and prevent cracking in the furture.
Be warned though, the quarter windows and regulators are the most agravaiting thing you'll ever R&R ( unless its a vert of course ) so find and fix whatever caused it to strip the gear while you're at it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2

I just welded new tips or teeth on using the mig welder,then used a cutoff wheel to shape em to fit the gear teeth and flatten them . but how in the world did you get those things to strip? they are tough. it must have been really rusty/dirty or wedged up or off the track bad.
better fix that first.

I just welded new tips or teeth on using the mig welder,then used a cutoff wheel to shape em to fit the gear teeth and flatten them . but how in the world did you get those things to strip? they are tough. it must have been really rusty/dirty or wedged up or off the track bad.
better fit that first.

x2 I'd do the same thing.

The regulator was from my parts car. Not sure how the teeth got wrecked. Guessing it was from misalignment because it was towards the top. There is one roller that was missing from both cars on both sides.
product_thumb.php

bad section cut out.

734942_10152435086670573_2019603486_n.jpg

donor (internal issues) good teeth
530720_10152435088465573_1833261954_n.jpg

-
Back