Windshield & Backlight Install Tech and Tips?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently Removed the Windshield and Back Glass out of my dart Project to Do Rust Repair on the Pinch welds and Replace the Headliner.

The question I have is How To Properly Install the Front window and Back Glass in again.

I have New Front and Rear Seals, as well as a new windshield.
The Back Glass will be reused as it is in Good condition and came out with out breaking :)

Both Windows are the Gasket Type and the Front has a Lock strip which i can install - no problem.

What is the best procedure for the glass / gasket reinstall?

Also Do I need to use any sealer with the gasket?
It seemed that the factory used sealer on the Inside of the gasket where it retained the window, but not where it attached to the pinch weld.

Thanks for any help sages!

Greg

Warmth is your friend. If you can get access to a heated garage,you also need Butyl sealant for the older glass with the gaskets for starters

1. make sure all the old sealant if off the car and the area is spotless, the glass is spotless around where the seal is gonna go.

Windscreen sealant around the entire front lip on the body where the seal locates. put the seal on the body. I put a small bead along the channel in the seal where the glass sits. lay your windscreen into the bottom channel. so now you have the seal on the car and your windscreen is sitting in the seal at the bottom. if you don't have a windscreen install tool. ( basically a nylon thick knife) get one, as this tool makes it so much easier.
Apply silicon spray around the sides and corners and work the rubber over the windscreen, working from the bottom corner to the top corner on both sides.then work along the top edge. If the glass looks too high, then you need to make sure the lower section is pushed down and location correctly.
The silicon helps alot and prevents tears. the corners are the hardest, so take your time and be patient making sure the windscreen is always locating correctly as you move along. if it feels way to tight and you think the glass might crack, just go back and check the alignment. I've done both my front and rear one my car and no leaks. there are also a few tech articles on here somewhere and also a good one on hotrod network./ mopar tech site.

Silicone is also a corrosive to paint...at least here in the states. If you use non butyl or new car sealant it will bond to the glass and will destroy your seals if you even need to take them back out again....ask me how I know. The way it's done here is: They apply butyl sealant into the seam of the gasket that goes over the pinch lip and down by the cowl first, install the gasket to the body then apply it to where the windshield/screen goes in and use a frosting spreader or something similar and work the glass into the seal and then fold the lip over and install the chrome. It's best in a heated work area.

Friend of mine paid a glass installer $150 to reinstall his. Reason being is that if they break the glass, they replace it

All Good Info thanks guys!

A few points of clarification for me:

What is the Brand / Name Product name for the Butyl Sealant?

Gasket Goes on Glass First then Install gasket and Glass over Pinchweld on Body, Correct?

Cheers!

Greg

I got the rear window installed last week with no problems.. the new rear window gasket with the old rope in the pinchweld channel went smoothly on the install.

I did reuse the old 1964 back glass as it was in nice shape..

Next is the new front windshield and gasket.

Greg

-
Back