Windshield corner trim repair

-

plugger340

Reaction score
This corner trim looks like it had a stress crack when it was formed and the crack was repaired with brass. Has anyone come across similar repairs on metal trim?

IMG_2873.jpeg

IMG_2874.jpeg

How do you think they repaired sheet metal back in the day? There were no mig welders for home use back then. Braze with possible coat hanger and flux or real brazing rod.

Brazing is a great way to repair this type of situation. Looks like they didn't quite pull it off. I find brass all of the time. It takes some special procedures to make paint stick due to the flux.

How do you think they repaired sheet metal back in the day? There were no mig welders for home use back then. Braze with possible coat hanger and flux or real brazing rod.
I would have thought auto makers back then would have been more focused on the “time is money” aspect of the business, and have used only sheet metal parts that came out of the stamps without any damage, especially small pieces.

I’m surprised factories would take the time to repair such a small piece instead of just chucking it into the scrap metal bin.

I’m surprised factories would take the time to repair such a small piece instead of just chucking it into the scrap metal bin.
Gotta keep the line moving. Those guys back then knew how to fix stuff and quickly too.

-
Back