Windshield Gasket 101

-

cybrtygr32

1967 Ratfish Fastback
Reaction score
OK guys. Give me the low down on windshield gaskets. I have a 1967 Barracuda Fastback and steel rubber and soft seal don't list a gasket for this car. The '68 can be used if you use the reveal molding ($$$$$$$) by putting on the studs and clips. Somebody please tell me if all 68 and 69's had the reveal molding around the glass or did some just have a plain rubber molding. i know you can use early chevy round locking strip, but then again you need the new gasket. Any info will be apreciated!

Mike in Alabama

Welcome to FABO!

You pretty much got it figured out. I have a 67 Fastback and used the chevy locking strip (I'm not really sure it is chevy because it was gave to me) around both the front and back glass. The previous owner got the gaskets somewhere so they do make them. 67 is the only year they used the locking strip instead of the reveal molding. I have never seen a plain rubber molding. This probably didn't help at all. LOL!

I looked this stuff up for ya.

I heard you can use the plastic chrome looking lockstrip stuff available for the dodge ramcharger trucks too.

Here's a link for supposedly NOS lockstrips, but I'm skeptical about that.
I wonder if it's metro-Parts stuff???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...1284753QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

68 windshield clips/screws.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wind...5474584QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

here's the lockstrip rolls:
A little pricey though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-6...hash=item320269940591&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Hey 'Ax, do you have any pics of the lockstrip stuff you used after installed?

I want to see what it looks like, especially where the ends meet because i'm ready to get my windshield install stuff now, but not sure as to which route I want to go.

Thanks again.

Hey 'Ax, do you have any pics of the lockstrip stuff you used after installed?

I want to see what it looks like, especially where the ends meet because i'm ready to get my windshield install stuff now, but not sure as to which route I want to go.

Thanks again.

The first ebay link you posted was on the cuda when I bought it. It is a hard plastic that pushes in the lock on the gasket. The previous owner just cut strips just enough to keep the gasket tight. I took it out and was wondering how to make a nice fit in the corners. I lost my religion! I couldn't get it to look good at all! I tried cutting the ends square to meet in the corners and that looked awful. Then I tried to cut 45* angle and that was a total PITA and looked crappy. So then I talked to my friend that installs auto glass for a living and he gave me enough chrome striping to go around the back glass and windshield. I cut 45* angles on it and it looks nice (I think anyways). If there is a trick to the hard plastic I would like to know. Remember I have a fastback and it is a little different than the coupes. The hardest part to deal with for my fastback was the upper corners on the rear glass.

I don't have any pictures of it but give a little bit and I will get some posted spaz.

The gasket looks tacky because there is buffing compound/clear coat residue on it which I haven't cleaned off yet. A good final cleaning would do it some justice.

The problem with the hard plastic was I couldn't get it to lock in good at the corners. It would lock good in the middle but on the corners where the windshield rounds it wouldn't lock properly.

If it was me I would locate 68 or 69 stainless, get the clips, and the proper gaskets and be done with it. Especially since you have your glass out. I was going to do the same until I found out that the gaskets would have to be changed and of course that means the glass would have to come out. So I took the easier softer way. I don't know how hard it would be to locate the stainless trim but I think it looks much better than the push in lock strip.

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and put them up.

I think you did a nice job with that, and I think I'll take your advice and spring for the 68 clips, screws and trim.

Supposedly Year-One advertizes the trim, but having it on backorder is most likely what I'll run into with them, but I'll call and find out.

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and put them up.

I think you did a nice job with that, and I think I'll take your advice and spring for the 68 clips, screws and trim.

Supposedly Year-One advertizes the trim, but having it on backorder is most likely what I'll run into with them, but I'll call and find out.

I'm not sure but the last time I checked they just had the plastic lock strip. I couldn't find any stainless for the fastback rear glass. I found the windshield pieces on ebay but I didn't buy them.:angry7:

Thanks guys for info. It seems I always get the ride that has no repop items. I thought I had heck when I was looking for the head light bezels. Looked everywhere, always outbid on ebay, and low and behold the guy I bought the car from acquired a set (old ones from his '68 coupe or mine, he made more money). Anyway, I will need new gaskets for my '67. The old ones appear to have "shrinkage" and afraid they would never survive a pull off and replace after paint. Steel Rubber products does sell the chrome strip and round lock.

Thanks again

Windshield Weatherstrip by Steel Rubber Products
[SIZE=-1][Model & Style Charts] [/SIZE]​
70219552.gif
Lockstrip, windshield gasket retaining. Extruded material designed for pickups and van bodies. Black 1/4" diameter. 16 ft. strip.

document.write(mkButton("70-2195-52","14.50","Lockstrip, windshiel","yr=61&mk=CH&tp=ALL&pk=TN#70-2195-52","hidden")) 70-2195-52...Black..$ 14.50/ea.

70219652.gif
Lockstrip, windshield gasket retaining. Extruded material designed for pickups and van bodies. Chromed plastic type. 16 ft. strip.

document.write(mkButton("70-2196-52","34.80","Lockstrip, windshiel","yr=61&mk=CH&tp=ALL&pk=TN#70-2196-52","hidden")) 70-2196-52...Chrome..$ 34.80/ea.

Hello Mullinax, I'm new here and trying to learn some things. I have a 67 fastback with the original seal but no trim. Is the lockstrip in your pictures plastic or metal? Would your friend know what it was exactly he gave you to use if it's not the stuff Steele has for sale and pictured in the past post? Thanks for any help.

Hello Mullinax, I'm new here and trying to learn some things. I have a 67 fastback with the original seal but no trim. Is the lockstrip in your pictures plastic or metal? Would your friend know what it was exactly he gave you to use if it's not the stuff Steele has for sale and pictured in the past post? Thanks for any help.

It is chrome plastic lock strip for GMC or Chevy trucks. Comes in a roll.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Lock-Strip-1973-1990-Chevy-GMC-Truck-Windshield-/170865824787

You can find the corners .... they are available instead of 45ing the ends of the lockstrip. I have since converted my 67 to 68 stainless trim. I just haven't snapped the stainless on yet.

-
Back