Windshield gasket replacment

-

Torrance00

Reaction score
Hey all
I need to replace the front windshield gasket, I have it already,
what do you guys that have done it recommend?
During rain, I get a constant trickle of water down the rear edge of the kick panel on
both sides of the car. And I can't think of anything else that would allow this to
happen except for the gasket.
Also what is used to attache the gasket to the body?
Best

The car is a 74 Duster
My main question is how did you remove the glass from the old gasket
I'm thinking of just cutting it out, then get the gasket out
clean, check for holes repair the install.
best

since you have a new gasket, just cut the old one and pull the glass out..... clean clean clean the windshield channel !

You wont like my reply because it will cost more. Front windows get sand blasted and cloudy. One would never realize just how bad the old glass looks until a new glass is installed. My advise comes from my own experience. Try to carefully remove the glass without damaging it or the gasket.
A bunch of us have had or read of bad experiences related to the fit of reproduction gaskets. We choose to clean and reuse the OEM gaskets. This means the gasket you remove can be sold. There's a market for it.
If/when you crack that original glass there goes more money. It really is a blessing in disguise though.
Looking at the new glass from inside or out makes the end result well worth the effort.
Good luck
As for where your water leak is... Unless you really dig in and find it, you're only guessing the window gasket is the cause. For example, Some vinyl topped cars have a small piece of trim at the top of the a pillar post. That piece of trim has a screw in it.
If the metal is rusted around that screw, water can stream down the inside of that post.

Check the wiper pivot gaskets, a kit to re-seal them is only like $15.00.
Just look up under the dash while somebody his using a garden hose with a gentle stream of water and you will find the leak.

Hi all and thanks for the info
the car did have a vinyl roof, no longer and the holes are filled.
I did check under the dash with water running over the glass, the
gromets for the wipers were leaking, fixed that problem
Will not hurt to double check were the leak is coming from, I'll remove the
kick panels and run some water over the car. At one time when it rained I was
getting a clove box filled with water, which I still can't understand, since it laps
over and it sits back from the front edge of the glass and there is no metal that
would allow water to run near it...
I would think the only safe way of removing the glass is to cut it out.
Its possible to cut behind it, if you have a long enough sharp edge
but getting those A pillar covers out is not easy.
Also I will probably go ahead and replace the vinyl dash cover, it's
pretty bad now.
thanks again
Best

If you are sure your glass is good enough for re-use and not going to try saving the gasket... Getting it out- even by cutting depends somewhat on how much and what kind of sealants were used on it. You should be able to pull the lock strip, then cut just the part that laps over the glass on sides and top. At that point it is still seated in the bottom, and the top and sides are laying on the gasket. As long as they didn't get much under the glass you should be able to push out on the top of the glass and it will pull away from the gasket. Now with glass angled out slightly, pull the top and sides of the gasket off the pinch weld. With bottom of gasket still on glass lift it off the car. Then get it to a safer spot and as said previously- clean ,clean,clean.

As for the leaks there are a number of places along the side that could leak. Any place a metal seam comes together should be suspect. One that took me a while to find was under the cowl drain where it joins the side panel (only accessible with fender off)

OK here is what is happening.. I just checked the leak
I comes from the top of the front windshield then leaks into the
cardboard headliner. It also runs down the from there inside where the
kick panel curves around the body...
Not leaking at the door weatherstripping..
Does anyone make a kick to change the cardboard to a cloth headliner?
guess the gasket can be cut to get the window out, then remove the rest of
the gasket and clean the channel...
thanks again

IF I'm not saving the gasket I cut it with a razor knife on the outside. Then take a smoothe edged frosting spreader or similar tool and run it between the glass and gasket across the top and sides inside to loosen the sealant grip and once I am confident that it is loose I sit in the middle of the seat and put both feet placed about 6" or so from the sides ( just inside the curve) and apply steady pressure until it starts pushing out,once you feel it start to push out,slowly decrease pressure so it doesn't pop out too fast,you just want to break the grip of the sealant,then go outside and pull it out by hand. Be careful of the wiper pivots so they don't chip the glass (use a towel) and also make sure the soles of your shoes don't have anything on them that can scratch the glass. The warmer the sealant the easier it will pop out. The cold makes it stiffer. It's pretty primitive but works great.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind, might use my heater gun a little
best

Are you doing it in a garage? I wouldn't take a heat gun to cold glass. PM me your number if you need any more ideas. Thanks chuck

If it were my car I'd buy a new windshield unless yours
is truly in great shape. Then I'd have a professional
installer do the job.

Tom

windshield is in pretty good condition...no cracks or scratches or pits

windshield is in pretty good condition...no cracks or scratches or pits

Like I stated before, you wouldn't/couldn't see the difference before a new glass is installed.
Everything under the sun will show its age. Some things more than others. If you're not doing a whole repaint and such the used glass is fine. New paint is even more reason to replace that glass. Side glasses and rear glasses usually get by with a good polish.
When the butyl is hot its more adhesive. Since I choose to save the gaskets, I peel the gasket away from the glass inside and out with a plastic tool and apply wd-40 from a spray bottle to prevent re adhesion temporarily. Water or any chemical is not good for the glass at its edges so wash the wd-40 or whatever away a.s.a.p.

Redfish, I'm going to replace the gasket... I'll do all the cleaning around the
window. lay down a nice bead of butyl down, then install the gasket and glass...

-
Back