Windshield gasket reuse, solvent for old sealer?

-

64dart170

Reaction score
What solvent is everyone using for the removal of the black sealant on the windshield gaskets for reuse?
I have already brought it back using purple power and wesleys bleach white. Looks like new now but I need to clean out the black sealant from the glass channel and along the bottom of gasket.
Will be installing on friday.
Please advise. Thanks!8)

It's the black firm type, but if you leave your finger on it long enough it will leave sticky black on your hands. Stock from factory.
Also had a cork strip along top of windshield edge inside gasket channel.

Seems like WD-40 would be worth a try. It worked for removing the black windshield sealant where I got it on my paint.

Seems like WD-40 would be worth a try. It worked for removing the black windshield sealant where I got it on my paint.
Hey thanks goldfish for the shout back. I have used that on paint before with good results.
I Know I have heard people on here using that on their re-use gaskets to soften up but......
Won't wd40 KEEP on reacting to the rubber making it softer & softer untill rubber swells & breaks down? How would you be sure to remove wd40 before instalation with new sealant?
I'm leaning more to the fast dry of a paint thinner, or something close?
Anyone know of a solvent? Something that breaks down the sealant not the rubber.?????????
Thanks Again!

i clean all the sealant off with gunwash then sandblast them...they look great and are nice and soft after that :)

I think if you use WD40 to get the old sealer off, just rinse gasket in warm soapy water should get the WD 40 off. just my .02 worth.

Guess I'll ginea pig this one and try a few things on the bottom of gasket. Drama soon to follow as usual! What should Dr evil try on Bride of Frienkenstein's replacement windshild gasket:
1: Fast paint laq thinner
2: Gunwash
3: Wd40 w/soapy bath
4: Goofoff
5: Kero
6: Prepwash
7: Lighter fluid
8: Gas
I feel an "Ohhhhh Noooooooo Mr. Bill Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

Here Goes, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................................
Hey yall watch this!:toothy10:

Guess I'll ginea pig this one and try a few things on the bottom of gasket. Drama soon to follow as usual! What should Dr evil try on Bride of Frienkenstein's replacement windshild gasket:
1: Fast paint laq thinner - Didn't work real well, drys too fast.
2: Gunwash
3: Wd40 w/soapy bath - Not bad, softens sealant enough to go onto rag. Will be alot of work.
4: Goofoff
5: Kero
6: Prepwash
7: Lighter fluid - Works pretty good. Still a mess!
8: Gas
9: Carb Cleaner - NOT
10: Brake Cleaner - not really
I feel an "Ohhhhh Noooooooo Mr. Bill Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

Here Goes, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................................
Hey yall watch this!:toothy10:
Update so far above in red.

100% mineral spirits, Works but is a slow messy process on butyl.
Should have called it brutal!
Still cleaning gasket, installer due in tomarrow.

If it was clean & easy, everybody would do it !
If you did not want the mess & work, should have bought new ones !!!!
So is your effort worth the difference $$$$$$

Charcoal starter fluid and lots of old rags worked better than mineral spirits for us. I used an electric heat gun and a screw driver ( dull edge scraper ) to get the majority off. Then the slow cleaning. You should have found a greyish colored bedding and glazing compound where gasket meets glass and the black butyl sealant where gasket meets fence. I've never seen the cork you mentioned.
Years ago a friend of mine coiled a gasket from a chevy truck into a bucket with about 3 gallons of kerosene. I dont know how long he left it to soak but very little sealant came off and the gasket grew 1/2 again in both directions. It would have fit a school bus. Lesson learned ? dont soak the gasket in any chemical that leaves a oil like reidue.

-
Back