windshield gasket

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've never changed one before and I'm scared to death to break my windshield as it is perfect. The gasket on the windshield of my 72 Duster (the one in my avatar) is cracking up and I got the watermarks inside the car now. I already got the wiper arm seals from Schumacher so I guess I'll do it all at once. Waiting on the gasket from Dante's and I got a tube of butyl too as I remember reading somewhere on here that its cheap insurance. Is this a job for a novice??? I've built engines and done all kind of mechanical stuff but never any type of body/glass stuff next to changing a broken door window. Or is this something I should farm out to the Glass Doctor or someone like that???

it can be done with two people but I recomend calling a window guy, and it will be wam bam done within 20 minutes my window guy came out and put my back window in really quick and it didnt cost me more then 50 bucks plus it was so hot outside hahahhahaa

Try to find someone experienced to help you. Actually you would help them. :)
Good luck

I asked a friend about doing this and he said to cut the old seal. I havent gotten around to doing the window seal yet though. To get those wiper pivot busings on i used a socket extension and a dab of dish soap.

I had Glass Doctor do my Ramcharger about 8 years ago for $120 including the new windshield. They screwed it up the first time and ended up coming back twice, once with another windshield. I know how it is done (in theory), but it is something I'd rather leave in the hands of a professional.

I had mine done at this little budget mexican place on that side of town...They usually do good work, but when they did my 70 Dart, it always leaked, never once sealed, and they bent my chrome trim all to ****....I was so disappointed...

i got sticker shock around here when looking to have my headliner and front and rear glass done on my 69 dart, 600-800 labor. i did it all myself and looked at it like this, doing it myself there is plenty of room for new parts if i screw up the first time around. headliner was a few hour job, i did the windshield in an hour or 2 after work and the same with the rear glass. i just did my duster a few weeks ago as they had the original one all gooped up. i used some black comercial window glazing silicone i think its 795. i put a good bead on the body set the gasket and put the glass in with no sealer. it doesnt leak. i need to polish the trim and install it. i dont have the trim removal tool so i just cut the old gaskets out then its easier to work on removing the trim without wrecking it and the glass comes right out. i had a windshield done in my ram and i was pretty pissed with how they treated my truck and its sort of a beater.

-
Back