Windshield install question

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
So we're doing paint on the Dart (67 Convertible). I'm tired of the windshield sitting in the garage and the paint guy says it's ok to install it now.

My question is, I have the new gasket and a tube of butyl gunk. I don't have the bottom lock strip since the original broke of course, and the one I ordered from Year One was discontinued. I'll need to figure out what to use in it's place, but is it ok to go ahead and install the windshield without the lock strip and pop that in later, or will it mess it up, meaning I should wait until I have the lockstrip to install the windshield?

Go for it, it won't mess with anything. Congratulations on being in that part of your build. That sh8t is exhilarating!

Thanks for the info and thanks for the pat on the back! It's at that point where it's exciting but still thinking "and then I gotta straighten and re do the grill, don't forget to order this, and damn I still need to fix that carb.." Haha!

I wouldn't put the glass in before window frame is painted. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put it in after the paint is sprayed either. Better to give the paint ample time to cure. Enamel doesn't cure through fast like lacquer. You will make a mess with the butyl sealant. Chemical used for cleanup might blemish fresh enamel. Even worse is have residue from that chemical get in the primer and screw the paint application.

1967 A-body lower convertible lockstrip is in stock and ready to ship, part# IN-CM8, $189.00 plus S/H......

Thanks RedFish, we painted the cowl and window frame last year, so the paint should be ok.

I might go that route Rick, thanks for the heads up.

Butyl cleans up real easy with mineral spirits, the REAL kind, not the green friendly crap.

A word of caution, run without the stainless lock strips for awhile; as you drive you'll develop new spots to fill in butyl... As me how I know. :roll:

You need to wait until you have the lock strip to install the windshield. Here's why. installing the lock strip will cause the gasket to "move" up against the windshield channel......as it should. If you have the sealant put in and install the windshield without the lock strip and wait until you get one, when you install the lock strip, you will risk breaking the seal on the cured sealant when the windshield gasket "moves" into its final place.

I have done A LOT of windshield installs. Probably over 200. I have used the butyl crap ONCE and never again. I always use standard home silicone caulk. I install the windshield first. Install the lock strip. Then cut the tip on the caulk almost at the end. Then I stick between the outer lip of the gasket and the pinch weld and run a bead all the way around between the lip and the pinch weld. I have never ever had a leak doing it this way.

I used windshield urethane caulking for windshields available at most parts stores.
RustyRatRod not to be against you on your silicone if it works for you.
Silicone is a no no in the rv world and bodyshops. Dust collectors and contamination.

Darryl

It's worked well for me. But it's all good. Use what works.

Windshields are installed in cars requiring different methods and materials dependent on
year, make and model.
To narrow it down to the rubber gasket and lockstrip style used on your 67 convertible
C.R. Lawrence makes the correct sealant and pump dispensing tool you will need.
I like to heat it up to thin down the viscosity so it flows easier out of pump can and
around rubber gasket. A heat gun or propane torch will do this easily.
It will thicken back up when it cools and will have worked its way into the seams
better than it could have cold.
Squirt the sealant between glass and rubber & rubber and body after glass and rubber is in place. Then install lock strips.
Clean up any excess butyl that squeezed out with mineral spirits or bug and tar remover.
No need to get in a hurry when working with these materials , take you time and never forget
the most important thing. Glass doesn't bend without breaking so don't put any stress on it.

Attachments

• 31uFNHfZQ0L._SY400_.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 21VEynIADIL._SY400_.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 191
You could install the glass and then come back later and seal it and install the lock strip

I also want to install the windshield (and rear glass) on my '72 Dart if I can. Having read several threads on the subject, I'm more confused than ever ;)

Do I put the glass in the gasket and then install the assembly onto the body? Or the gasket on the body then work the windshield into the gasket?

Does the '72 Swinger (2-door hardtop) even use the locking strip referred to in this thread? The body was completely stripped when I got it, so I don't have any "installation is the reverse of disassembly" to refer to...

-
Back