windshield install ...

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
We got the back in - the front ain't so easy. We can set the glass into the bottom groove and get the gasket around the glass about half way up on each side, after that it's too tough. Gasket is set in place, using plenty of WD40 and plastic tool used for this purpose. Should we try using some type of cord in the groove and possibly pull the gasket out over the glass ? If you've done one - I'll take all the advise/tips I can get.

First start by having some competent help. Then tape the windshield gasket into the opening after applying a bead of sealant to the lip that the windshield gasket lays in.
SANY7-vi.jpg

Then we laid the bottom of the glass into the channel of the gasket. GENTLY pull the rubber over the edge of the glass with a PLASTIC trim tool.
SANY10-vi.jpg

SLOWLY work your way up the sides evenly. In the picture below you can see the gasket half way over the glass just below my left hand. The key here is to WORK SLOWLY and PAY ATTENTION.
SANY0012-vi.jpg

Here you can see what it looks like once you get the sides in. Now you just CAREFULLY slide that plastic trim tool (or a plastic butter knife or scraper...) under the edge of the rubber and roll it over.
SANY0015-vi.jpg

Once you get all the rubber over the face of the windshiled CAREFULLY slap the glass in a downward motion to seat it into the channel. DON'T go after it like a maniac... medium-pressure slaps will drop it into the rubber gasket. You'll see it move... Then your done.
SANY0022-vi.jpg

Just make sure you have all the windshiled trim clips installed BEFORE you install the gasket & glass!

This was the first one I did and it took me & my Buddy Tom about an hour, including stopping to photograph and double-check our work. Make sure you apply a bead of sealant to the edge of the glass too so once everything is in it'll be water-tight. Go slowly and you should be OK... Good luck!

Thanks - I'll give it another shot this weekend, not sure where we're out of whack , I think we may not be seating the glass into the bottom channel far enough, making the top way too tight ..

Glad someone asked this question as I will be installing one in a 65 Valiant soon...I have done one years ago in a 65 Dart, but we did it differently We put the gasket on the glass and had a rope in the grove and then set the windshield in at the bottom I pulled the rope as my friend pushed from the outside... But i will have to say, your way looks a lot easier.

Fastback, that is a great how-to lesson. Thanks.

Another tidbit that will make the job easier is to lay the gasket out in the sun for an hour or two before you start the installation. It will soften up the rubber and make it a LOT easier to work with. The WD-40 works, but it makes everything wayyyy slippery!

Great how to lesson. Shouldn't there be a lockstrip in the gasket? It goes in after everything is in place, so the process outlined is still great.

yeah, that looks like a lockstrip type gasket. non lockstrip type has to get roped in. keep your good freind handy, its a two man job.

Well I used your methed and it went in with no problem. Thanks for posting that on here. Did the back glass the same way. Thanks fastback.

-
Back