Windshield molding clip question

-

JimK

Reaction score
When I took my 69 Dart to the body shop, they removed the windshield and rear window glass and trim moldings and in the process, mixed up the molding clips. When I got the car back (glass not reinstalled) I got the clips sorted out according to the number of holes in the window frames vs. the number of each style of clip. However, the rear glass clips were all the same but the windshield has 21 clips of one shape and 2 different shaped clips. Just wanted to ask if someone can tell me if all of the clips should have been the same shape or if the two different ones are correct (more square than the others) and go in a specific location on the windshield frame? Attached is a pic of them with the two different clips on the bottom of the pic.

MVC-101S.JPG

Is it a vinyl top car? I think those 2 were taller because of the thickness of the tops. I just use all of the other ones and never had an issue yet

Is it a vinyl top car? I think those 2 were taller because of the thickness of the tops. I just use all of the other ones and never had an issue yet

Yes, it does have a vinyl top. Did those two go on each end of the top of the window frame?

When I took my 69 Dart to the body shop, they removed the windshield and rear window glass and trim moldings and in the process, mixed up the molding clips. When I got the car back (glass not reinstalled) I got the clips sorted out according to the number of holes in the window frames vs. the number of each style of clip. However, the rear glass clips were all the same but the windshield has 21 clips of one shape and 2 different shaped clips. Just wanted to ask if someone can tell me if all of the clips should have been the same shape or if the two different ones are correct (more square than the others) and go in a specific location on the windshield frame? Attached is a pic of them with the two different clips on the bottom of the pic.

View attachment 1714970025
The short wide clips are for the front windshield and the narrow tall ones are for the rear window, but the amount of clips you have there does not look right to me. I have 22 of the rear clips 20 of the front clips and if I remember correctly the bottom front clips were different from others mentioned.

vinyl top installers often find rust, smear on the bondo, add what ever clip they have wherever they need to get the job out the door. Where the screw hole is rusted away, hard to put a clip back in that exact spot.
I'm guessing that's why you have a mismatch and a wrong count.
Those square clips are typical to both GM and Ford. Chrysler used a shorter/wider uncommon clip.
Many a-bodies had 2 clips on each a-pillar run that were different again, ever more uncommon.

The short wide clips are for the front windshield and the narrow tall ones are for the rear window, but the amount of clips you have there does not look right to me. I have 22 of the rear clips 20 of the front clips and if I remember correctly the bottom front clips were different from others mentioned.

I do have the same amount of 22 clips for the rear glass (as shown in the picture) as you mentioned. But if you have only 20 for the front windshield vs. my 23 then I guess some must have been added at some point in time. So, could you please tell me how many of the 20 go on each section of the window frame? I have 9 holes on the bottom section of mine which I can see. However, I just had a new vinyl top put on last week and they wrapped the vinyl over the A-pillars and the top of the window frame so I can't see the holes now. I am going to have to try to feel where they are to screw the clips on so it would help if I knew how many there are in each section that I need to locate. Thanks.

MVC-102S.JPG

If you look at the underside of the trim close enough, you just might find scars or rust stain evidence of clip position.
Clips were placed at least 3 inches from a corner and where 2 piece of trim joined. Then 7 to 9 inches apart.
You could fish for the original screw holes using the worlds most keen sewing needle. Lets hope those original holes will hold a screw. Like I stated before, vinyl top installers relocated clips as required to hold the moldings in place, and sometimes omitting a clip where they could get away with it.

I do have the same amount of 22 clips for the rear glass (as shown in the picture) as you mentioned. But if you have only 20 for the front windshield vs. my 23 then I guess some must have been added at some point in time. So, could you please tell me how many of the 20 go on each section of the window frame? I have 9 holes on the bottom section of mine which I can see. However, I just had a new vinyl top put on last week and they wrapped the vinyl over the A-pillars and the top of the window frame so I can't see the holes now. I am going to have to try to feel where they are to screw the clips on so it would help if I knew how many there are in each section that I need to locate. Thanks.

View attachment 1714972830

Looking over some of the photos I shot during my restoration I am seeing 3 on each windshield post, 8 across the upper windshield, 9 across the lower windshield. but i clearly remember the the lower center clips were different from the lower outer clips.

here's a drawing another owner posted. It is fairly accurate when checked to the 68 notch I had. I used this as guide when adding 68 trim to my 67.
windshieldClips.jpg
Since there isn't a full fence at the lower front, different/taller clips are easily swapped in, used there.

I went through this a while back. This is a link to my post and in that thread there are links to other posts that have additional info.
There is a series of pictures where I stretched out a tape measure to show the position of my clips centers.
Also, the two tall clips installed at each of the ends of the bottom.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/posts/1970962061/

Okay the knowledge I have about this relates to my 1970 dart. I just spoke with Tim at RT specialities last week about this very question. He said there are 4 clips that are different from the others these four clips, 2 on each side, go on the first two holes on the top of the frame next to the A Pillars.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will be working on installing the clips this weekend and with all of the info. and pics you guys have provided I should be able to locate all of the holes easily.

-
Back