windshield removal

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the windshield without damaging the gasket, or should I just cut it and purchase a new one?

The answer is yes you can save them sometimes. Some gaskets are more flexible then others. If it were me I would get a new one.

it seems to be really soft was why I ask. Thanks

it can be done-- just use plastic or wood shims to assist-- don't use metal putty knives .

cut the sealant around both sides of the glass-- slide a razor blade following the glass , work the lip of the gasket bending it back/forth.

I start on the top corner-- which ever side is the easiest to start. once you get the glass coming forward & a shim in place it will move rather quickly.

the sun & heat is your friend.

Lawrence

what ^^^ said, even a friend to apply light pressure from behind might help also. And I mean light pressure.

it can be done-- just use plastic or wood shims to assist-- don't use metal putty knives .

cut the sealant around both sides of the glass-- slide a razor blade following the glass , work the lip of the gasket bending it back/forth.

I start on the top corner-- which ever side is the easiest to start. once you get the glass coming forward & a shim in place it will move rather quickly.

the sun & heat is your friend.

Lawrence

Its worth a shot if they seem soft and pliable.

Mine were the originals, and very dry and stiff so I didn't even try saving them. Just got out the razor knive and started cutting.

The reassembley was easy with nice new soft gaskets.

If you really wana save them, I would just call a professional out to do it....

-
Back