Windshield trim

-

awg329

Reaction score
I just had the windshield and back glass installed on my 1976 duster. I also had the glass guy install the stainless steel trim around the glass. Problem is the trim doesn't fit well. I had the original trim straightened and polished by a trim guy but he didn't have access to the car. So I guess that I should have had the trim fitted to the car before polish ? First build so it's all new to me. Thanks for any information.

I just had the windshield and back glass installed on my 1976 duster. I also had the glass guy install the stainless steel trim around the glass. Problem is the trim doesn't fit well. I had the original trim straightened and polished by a trim guy but he didn't have access to the car. So I guess that I should have had the trim fitted to the car before polish ? First build so it's all new to me. Thanks for any information.
I think you answered your own question. Pics?

Those things are difficult sometimes. I bought new trim for my windshield and it fits well but not perfect

You have to fit the trim sometimes to car like you mentioned. Removing the trim can warp it, and it depends on what the buffer guy did as well. Never goes back on perfect most of the time. I have installed my trim in which I have a 67 cuda and converted it to 68 stainless trim... long story.... and going to have to take mine back off and make adjustments. So I know exactly what you're talking about. Might have to take it off and on many times.

There are a few tricks that make it fit good again. I have seen where the back of the trim was cut/notched so it would bend easier and therefore lay down... look good. Block of wood and rubber hammer works too.... but you might think I'm crazy. Some of the older cars have massive trim that doesn't bend easily.

You have to fit the trim sometimes to car like you mentioned. Removing the trim can warp it, and it depends on what the buffer guy did as well. Never goes back on perfect most of the time. I have installed my trim in which I have a 67 cuda and converted it to 68 stainless trim... long story.... and going to have to take mine back off and make adjustments. So I know exactly what you're talking about. Might have to take it off and on many times.

There are a few tricks that make it fit good again. I have seen where the back of the trim was cut/notched so it would bend easier and therefore lay down... look good. Block of wood and rubber hammer works too.... but you might think I'm crazy. Some of the older cars have massive trim that doesn't bend easily.
Good idea notching. Stainless steel can be a *****. Not crazy at all. Well the idea anyway. Just don't notch where the clips are located

Good idea notching. Stainless steel can be a *****. Not crazy at all. Well the idea anyway. Just don't notch where the clips are located

That is correct no notching where clips go.

When I worked at a auto glass place the owner had to set the trim down and walk away sometimes...lol I would pick it up and work at it until I got frustrated. The customers are of course wanting their trim to fit properly so it takes work to get it all to come together nicely. I've seen it all when comes to trim restoration and fitment. Chevy, Ford, Mopar etc...

Thanks for the replies. Also had some trouble getting the windshield trim to stay clipped on. The glass guy thinks I should use rivets and not the screws that came with the clips. He says the thinner heads of the rivets will let the clips hold the trim better. Any thoughts ?

Thanks for the replies. Also had some trouble getting the windshield trim to stay clipped on. The glass guy thinks I should use rivets and not the screws that came with the clips. He says the thinner heads of the rivets will let the clips hold the trim better. Any thoughts ?

We never used rivets and what this guy is saying doesn't make since to me. Anyways look at the trim where the clips lock. Make sure trim is bent the same all the way the around in that location. Hard to explain but where the trim was locked before the lip on the trim will be bellied out some. We would move the clips over left or right to avoid the previous used location on the trim or fix the trim or both.
The clips need to be good thick USA made clips. If they are these China made clips then the trim will never hold. If you had a china clip and a usa clip side by side you would see and feel the the difference immediately.
When all said and done installing the clips... working on the trim I actually had to bend the clips so the trim would snap on.. lol

Wrong or Chinese aftermarket clips could have came with the wrong screws too. The OEM correct screw is special. It has a #8 standard shank but has the #6 standard head which is smaller. Off the shelf #8 screws just don't work here. That screw head is too big for the trim to get in the clip with it.

Thanks for the replies. The clips and screws came from Just Mopar in a weatherstrip kit. The clips and screws look just like the original clips and screws. The glass guy said he would pull the windshield so we could replace the screws with rivets but I'm not sure I want to do that. It seems to me that bending the clip "open" would work just as well as using a thinner head rivet instead of a thicker head screw ?

If the clips are tempered like spring steel ( should be ) they wont bend much before they crack. Be careful. good luck

-
Back