Windshield washer reservoir - power vs pump

-

SD_R/T

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Ok, so when I bought my Valiant a while back I did notice that there was no windshield washer reservoir. No big deal.

While I was at a junkyard recently looking for something else, I came across a pretty good specimen of a reservoir so I grabbed it - little electric pump, wires, and all.

I finally started snooping around in the Valiant and see the little foot-pump thing-y under the dash. Oops! Didn't check beforehand to see what I had.

So my question is: Can I still utilize the reservoir even though I don't have the electric pump-style? Or do I need to get a reservoir specifically for the foot-pump style? Looked through the FSM but it seemed pretty light in this particular department.

Car is a 68 Valiant. Junkyard car was early 70's Dart (not positive of the year, but definitely pre-1973).

Ok, so when I bought my Valiant a while back I did notice that there was no windshield washer reservoir. No big deal.

While I was at a junkyard recently looking for something else, I came across a pretty good specimen of a reservoir so I grabbed it - little electric pump, wires, and all.

I finally started snooping around in the Valiant and see the little foot-pump thing-y under the dash. Oops! Didn't check beforehand to see what I had.

So my question is: Can I still utilize the reservoir even though I don't have the electric pump-style? Or do I need to get a reservoir specifically for the foot-pump style? Looked through the FSM but it seemed pretty light in this particular department.

Car is a 68 Valiant. Junkyard car was early 70's Dart (not positive of the year, but definitely pre-1973).

There is the one you need right here on FABO if it hasn't sold. New and a great price. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=159802&highlight=washer+bottle

When my Dart was my daily driver I put an electric pump on mine. Think I bought it at wal Mart or Kragen. I am converting it back to the pump style, going for the original look. I always thought the foot pump and the non electric remote mirror were some of the unique parts of this car.

Foot pump came on cars with 2 speed wipers. The motor sticks almost straight out from the firewall.

Electric pump came on cars with 3 speed wipers. The motor sits parallel to the firewall.

Thanks all for the input. I suppose it makes sense to check out what you have before buying something. I was just so used to seeing completely destroyed washer reservoirs in the junkyard that I jumped at the first one that was in decent condition!

Thanks all for the input. I suppose it makes sense to check out what you have before buying something. I was just so used to seeing completely destroyed washer reservoirs in the junkyard that I jumped at the first one that was in decent condition!

At $40 shipped I almost bought the new one I posted without thinking to ask.

-
Back