Windshield wiper help

-

73hcode

Reaction score
Could someone school me on the wiper motor, linkage and all the ways they attach. I see some motors go straight in some hang off to the side I take it one is two speed one is three speed and the way the linkage attaches to each I might be missing some parts here mine is the kind that appears to go straight in. Thanks in advance.

While there are some differences in the linkage. Some are repairable and some aren't. They all attach the same way for a-body - I assume a-body since you didn't mention YMM?
With the exception of the arm's the 2, 3 and variable speed motors "attach" the same. They just have slightly different wiring and switches for function. Most 2 speed motors go right in while most of the 3 and V-speed motors have an obvious motor off to the side. Exception is the Leese Neville wiper motors where the 2 and 3 speed motors look the same and the wiring is the tell tale - 3 vs 4 wire.

Might be best if you post what you have so we can see if you have all the proper components.

Ok thanks I will try to post pictures when I get home but from what you said I have the two speed wipers the motor goes straight in and I have the arm on the back that it looks like the arms attach to with the bushings but someone said something about a cam type attachment not sure how it all attaches

on a bodies i think the crank hole size is different between 2 & 3 speed, you have to enlarge the hole for one of them... also if switching you need to change the switch on the dash

there is a website with a writeup somewhere.

as far as how it all goes together you need the chassis service manual for the year of your car.

Hope someone can answar this question for me. Connecting the drive linkage to the motor. Is it connected with a metal retainer clip or just a plastic connector like on the other connections.:coffee2:

On my 2 speed there is an arm off the motor it connects to the motor with a metal nut then to the wiper arm with the plastic peice

On my 2 speed there is an arm off the motor it connects to the motor with a metal nut then to the wiper arm with the plastic peice

And at least one of the other styles are connected with metal clips, and thers with an off center plastic bushing.
I suspect the OP has the large plastic off center bushing type from the sound of it.

Kinda like Nite Moves is going through here.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=300168

Yea I saw that also he might have the arm from the motor off a newer car is all I can think of I am not sure when they changed from the clip type though mine is a 73 2 speed.

-
Back