Windshield Wiper Switch 74 Dart

-

H235gdh

ghaxton
Reaction score
Restored my son's 74 Dart Swinger and sent it to him in North Dakota where he is stationed in the Air Force. The car left here in Florida with the windshield wipers working fine, now they will not turn on.

The car must have a short somewhere as this is the 2nd switch I have replaced in the car since we have had it. Besides used, anyone know where to purchase a windshield wiper switch?

Any ideas as to what could be the issue causing the switches to burn out?

Greg

Is it this one? (eBay) This is a two speed switch.
"
Mopar Windshield Wiper Switch 1973-74 Dart ,Valiant-NOS. part Number 3488839"
Fifty Bucks !?!? Jeez!

Greg, I know you said you restored it. Is it possible there might be a bad spot on the wiring insulation somewhere? As usual, check all the wiring and connections with as fine a tooth comb as possible. The wiring diagram in the Haynes manual shows it going through 'CE 1'. That may be the big bulkhead connector. Someone else here should be able to say for sure.

Is is possible that the motor is causing this?

If you get another switch, consider splicing an inline fuse in the 12v line going to the switch.

Thanks Ronnie, the idea of splicing the inline fuse is great. The car is now in the hands of my son who is stationed in Minot, North Dakota, so I will pass that along to him.

I myself am without a project and looking.

You say you restored the car but not to what extent. If there was painting done at the firewall, the ground strap at the wiper motor may be the problem.
The wipers need 2 good grounds, one at the motor and one at the switch to dash. Loose one it wont run, loose the other and it wont stop.
Used switches are a gamble. The switch has a bimeteal disconnect in it to save the motor when the wiper blades a frozen to the glass. Repeated heat responce of the strip will cause it to crack and fail. Then a switch from a warmer climate donor car wouldn't have seen this condition so often in its life.
North Dakota ? I'd have to recommend a new switch. Good luck

-
Back