windshield wipers

-

66 coronet

Reaction score
Turned on the wipers last night and all I got was a click clack from in the dash so I guess the linkage has come loose. Its a 74 dart with factory air how much of a pain is it to get to the wiper linkage?

If you don't curse you will before the task is complete:lol:

I took out the instrument cluster and glove box liner. That gave me enough room to work on my linkage without too much difficulty.

My 73 Valiant daily driver example... Replaced all 3 ball socket bushings. About two years later the linkage fell apart again. I found the bushings worn out. Wear and subsequent resistance in the pivot assemblies was the root cause. So... marked the pivots before I dropped them. Greased, resealed, and reinstall rotated 180 degrees ( repositions their movement to lesser worn surfaces ).
Because there just isn't a easy way to service Chryslers under dash wiper mechanism, I wont stop short of a complete service again. I'll have quality bushings ( available at dealerships ) and the aftermarket pivot kits in hand before I start.
I must emphasize daily driver. One that is rarely driven and even more rarely uses the wipers,,, Whatever that owner feels is sufficient. Good luck with yours

My 73 Valiant daily driver example... Replaced all 3 ball socket bushings. About two years later the linkage fell apart again. I found the bushings worn out. Wear and subsequent resistance in the pivot assemblies was the root cause. So... marked the pivots before I dropped them. Greased, resealed, and reinstall rotated 180 degrees ( repositions their movement to lesser worn surfaces ).
Because there just isn't a easy way to service Chryslers under dash wiper mechanism, I wont stop short of a complete service again. I'll have quality bushings ( available at dealerships ) and the aftermarket pivot kits in hand before I start.
I must emphasize daily driver. One that is rarely driven and even more rarely uses the wipers,,, Whatever that owner feels is sufficient. Good luck with yours
This isn t driven every day but it is my driving car, 47000 miles on it. I might look at making some teflon bushings

As I was driving my 74 Duster at 70 mph the Wipers crawled half way up the windshield. I bought the bushings Dorman # 49447 asstd pack for about $5. I dreaded the repair but it was quite easy. Didn't have to remove any thing. Used a pair of needle nose pliers to pop out broken one and installed new one. Like you I dreaded the thought of tearing dash apart, but it turned out much easier to do.

-
Back