Windshield

-

Ricksdust

70 Duster
Reaction score
Has anyone know how to remove the front windshield on a duster? I dont want to damaged the chrome around it. Thank you. Rick

Has anyone know how to remove the front windshield on a duster? I dont want to damaged the chrome around it. Thank you. Rick

The chrome (or stainless) trim around the windshield is the same as for most if not all 68 on A bodies right? If so, first thing you need to do is remove it using the right trim removal tool, which allows you to locate the clips which hold the trim in place and pry the it off. Others here may know where you can get ready access to the right tool. Once that's done it's easy sailing really, particularly if you're replacing the windscreen and therefore not concerned about damaging it in the process of removal. (I pushed my windshield out of the molds from the inside of the car using my legs, though that was before a re-paint and I dont recommend it as the best method!).

...first thing you need to do is remove it using the right trim removal tool, which allows you to locate the clips which hold the trim in place and pry it off...

Man, I used a wide bladed screw driver, but this was a last-ditch resort in a junkyard and I HAD to have the trim from the Duster I found. It took about 20 minutes total, but I pried the trim off without damaging it. Too bad about the Duster body though...

I highly suggest using a special tool for this procedure. I do not want to repeat what I did originally as my luck just may run out.
:clock:

sydcuda said:
...particularly if you're replacing the windscreen and therefore not concerned about damaging it in the process of removal. (I pushed my windshield out of the molds from the inside of the car using my legs, though that was before a re-paint and I dont recommend it as the best method!).

Hmmm, my windshield has a "foggy-glass" look to it and is becoming cloudy as the window has delaminated(?) and needs to be replaced. I may actually try this procedure, although I need to know if the rubber gasket can be salvaged doing this. The glass definitely will be replaced.

NAPA sells a mopar trim removal tool that works awesome for trim removal. It is resaonably priced also. If you try to re-use the old gasket it will leak gauranteed!!

NAPA sells a mopar trim removal tool that works awesome for trim removal. It is resaonably priced also. If you try to re-use the old gasket it will leak gauranteed!!

No i dont want to reuse the gasket. Will get a new one.I have a little rust areas that i want to work on and i think it would be better to remove the windshield and get underneath and clean it out. Thank you everyone for the information.:cheers:

Not only should a new gasket be installed, you should also buy new reveal molding clips. These are the clips that the stainless trim snaps onto. The clips go 360 degrees around the windshield. I have actually seen guys remove the trim and windshield and wallow out the small screws that hold the clips. If your Duster is like my Dart was, these small screws are probably rusted and you may have to tap them out. A little care during the removal process can save you a lot of additional repair work during the reinstallation.

Baseball bat, brick, BFH, etc., any heavy obeject. Angry Ninja, old lady with heavy purse, Iranian newsman with shoe, Mule (facing away from car), my kid with anything that can be thrown, all these and more can do the job. Just be sure not to hit the trim! LOL. I know , "wise a--"... sorry.... Oh, and be sure to use a new gasket!

I would break the glass. I'd cover both inside and out with blankets first.
I'd carefully remove the old gasket with intent to reuse it even if I didn't in the end. Dusters aare different from other a-bodies and each other too.
Their gaskets and mouldings have rounds corners where others are square.
Some get new gaskets that fit fine and some dont. Same goes for door seals. I think the differences are in 74 and later Dusters. I think most of the repop stuff is for pre 74 too but I've been wrong before. Good luck in any case.
By the way... if you pull that gasket unharmed atleast you'll have something to compair the replacement to.

NAPA has the clips too.
If you're using new gasket, after removing molding you can CAREFULLY razor the old gasket and lift/push out glass with a helper.
The clips will be rusted, if you can't screw (sorry about you're luck..Haha) pull the clip off with channel locks, then use them to grip screw head and unscrew it out. If holes are rusted spot weld or JB weld and move screw & clip over slightly to new metal.
Good Luck, Do you need photos of my dart being done? If so say YAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!:-D

NAPA has the clips too.
If holes are rusted spot weld or JB weld and move screw & clip over slightly to new metal.

That's exactly what I did. The JB weld filled in the larger holes and I drilled a new hole slightly to the side. For the smaller holes, a little JB weld and a tiny drill bit held the screw/clip tight.

Be careful with the drill to not damage your dash.

Be careful with the drill to not damage your dash.[/quote]

Sounds like experience talking.

This is how i did mine.

1. Used the Trim tool to remove the trim
2. Used an razor knife to cut out the "asphalt" type sealer
3. Used vice grips to pull the gasket down from inside the car.

It didn't take that long. Where gloves when cutting the ashphalt stuff!

-
Back