Winters Sidewinder Shifter

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
Anyone running a Winters Sidewinder Shifter (once known as the Art Carr shifter)?

If so, show how and where you mounted it and let me know if you had any issues with install. Mine is going in next week.

Thanks!

As near as "I can figure" that shifter is what has evolved (maybe with very little changes) into the "much loved" Turbo Action.

As near as "I can figure" that shifter is what has evolved (maybe with very little changes) into the "much loved" Turbo Action.

Yep, kind of a confusing deal. The Turbo Action and Winters Sidewinder look very similar, yet somehow different.

Im running a winter sidewinder in my car, sorry no pics of it. When I mounted it I made some spacers, so that the shifter cover doesnt conform to the tunnel shape, and sits level. I wish the metal bracket on the bottom had the ears like the Cheetah shifter does. Although, once bolted in it doesnt move at all.

Im running a winter sidewinder in my car, sorry no pics of it. When I mounted it I made some spacers, so that the shifter cover doesnt conform to the tunnel shape, and sits level. I wish the metal bracket on the bottom had the ears like the Cheetah shifter does. Although, once bolted in it doesnt move at all.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a plate mount from a 4x4 shop that will replace the crappy Winters plastic cover. If it's strong enough for the rock crawling guys, it's probably strong enough for my application.

I'll post pics once it's mounted in place.

Just got my plates in. Just need to paint them up and get ready to install tomorrow.

I run one in My race car and they are allot better than others! The 3rd gear gate is offset so you cannot go from first to 3rd. [ame]http://www.wintersperformance.com/Automatic%20Transmission%20Catalog.pdf[/ame]
They make some very cool stuff and still make clutch flights!
They are in PA

Wish I had seen the brackets (#8257) on page 2 sooner!

Here's a pic of a bracket I painted last night. It's gold. The camera flash dulled the color.

It's not mounted like they show you in the pretty pictures, but this thing isn't going anywhere. I'm super thrilled with the positioning. The gates are going to take some getting used to.

Nice job! That bracket to hold it is a nice touch.

I have to ask you though. Did you check the throw of the shifter and which direction the cable goes in and out? My shift cable had to go towards the firewall then wrapped back around the tail shaft to the shift arm.

For the record, I didn't do a lick of the work on the installation. HUGE thanks to Mulders Hot Rods in Brenham, TX for doing the excellent work on really short notice.

Nice job! That bracket to hold it is a nice touch.

I have to ask you though. Did you check the throw of the shifter and which direction the cable goes in and out? My shift cable had to go towards the firewall then wrapped back around the tail shaft to the shift arm.

The shifter rows through the gears flawlessly. No hanging up or issues at all.

??? What kind of transmission you shifting, I see "4" on there. Don't know 'bout these but you can buy different gates for the Turbo Action (Cheetah), including reversed

??? What kind of transmission you shifting, I see "4" on there. Don't know 'bout these but you can buy different gates for the Turbo Action (Cheetah), including reversed

I'm running a GM 700r4. I had one in a Monte Carlo SS when I was younger and loved it.

Good eye Del! The 700r4 that explains why it shifts out the back and not the front.

On mine, it didnt matter if I took it apart and rotated the base one way or the other, it still pushed the cable when shifting into reverse, drive or what not. So I had to spin mine around so like I said the cable went towards the firewall, then wrap it around so it pushed the shift arm forward. I dont know if they are all made the same or not.

-
Back