Wiper Arm Removal

-

norton

Doing the best that I can
Reaction score
How can I remove the wiper arm from my 72 Duster, without damaging the paint ? The glass shop put it on to low and the blade parks below the chrome .
I've looked at the wiper arm pullers and they don't look like they would work on this style arm . I don't want to pull to hard for fear of breaking the wiper transmission.

Just use a small pry bar, as in screwdriver type or a screwdriver, place a rag under it thick enough to protect the paint and gently pry up on the pivot side opposite of the wiper arm, while holding the wiper arm in your hand.

It doesn't take a whole lot to get it off.

View attachment th.jpg

Something like the small one in this pic. The end is bent which makes it easier to pull up.

I use a claw hammer. Grab the arm with my hand and use the hammers claw on the outside lip. It gives good leverage without getting close to the paint. They come right off.

I use a door panel remover tool. The end is angled. Also make sure there isn't a door"lock" on the wipe arm. You may have to unlock it to remove it.

I use any of the above, but put a rubber sanding block between the paint and pry tool. I also find if you put a little pressure on the arm, sliding it away from the pivot, it will release the tension on the clip easier. This is hard to describe, I would just have to show you. By the way, remove the 80 grit sandpaper from the block first!!! I had to always tell the last part because a student had to remove a wiper that was misplaced on the pivot and scratched the paint because of the sandpaper on the block.

You need one of these.

Attachments

• 2014-09-11-10-36-36--369929740.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 217
  • 2014-09-11-10-36-48-473421026.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 218
Thank you, for all of the suggestions. However the claw hammer idea worked just nice. I put a heavy towel on the hood in case anything got away from me, but all wet well. 72_dart, I'll have to find me one of them tools. Maybe eBay.
Thanks again

Late to the party but this style tool, flat works...

61HXsZdYzGL._SX425_.jpg

0900c15280062713.jpg

Once you got it off you noticed how it is spring loaded at the hinged point?
That is what keeps them on for the most part. (kinda cocks the threaded socket part sideways)

This never fails for me, so I have never needed a tool to get them off.

Attachments

• WP_000449.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 189
I just lift mine up and engage the little lock tab that holds them up over the windsheld and releases the spring tension and they pull off easily

I just lift mine up and engage the little lock tab that holds them up over the windsheld and releases the spring tension and they pull off easily

Pretty close to the same here I guess, except pushing down on the spring loaded joint and then pull up on the cap.

I know this is late, but you have to move the little tab over first to unlock the arm from the splined shaft-maybe you already did that before pulling it with the hammer-mine came right off by hand

Not all of them have that little lock/release feature. I don't see any indication of it in pics shown in this thread.

-
Back