Wiper Arm Removal

-

highwayhooligan

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
I'm preparing to start the body work on my hood and cowl, but can't figure out how to remove my wiper arms.

A guy I used to work with gave me a tool that is supposed to do it, but it didn't work. He suggested using a pair of channel locks to gently work them off the stem.

Is there any kind of clip or retainer on those arms? Anyone know of any tricks?

Thanks.

There should be a little lever that you can pry away with a screwdriver and then you can work the wiper off.

Not that it matters since you are doing body work to it anyway, but for the record, EVERY time I've ever taken wiper arms off my old Mopars, I struggle for a minute or so with a screwdriver, and then it'll pop off without warning and land on the hood. As much as i prepare for the thing to come flying off, it always gets me. Just be careful once the body work is done if you ever have to remove them again.

Lisle tool #65750 ($5) definitely makes things easier without gouging up the paint around the wiper pivot with a screwdriver or some other damage. The spring tension in the wiper arm and the little release spring at the bottom are what make it tricky.

The tool gives you the leverage to pull the arm off while you hold the release spring away from the pivot with a small screwdriver tip.

If you can't find the little release spring I'll post a picture.

The spring that holds the blade tight to the glass is your enemy. It puts a bind on the wiper pivot and cap. I always bump the wiper downward at the hindge point with my palm. If I get that cap to rock even a little bit I know I've distrubed the sieze in the splines. Then I lift the blade off the glass and push the arm down toward the pivot while lifting up at the back opposite lower edge. Sometimes I need a 90 degree pick to pull up at the lower back and sometimes I lift them off with my bare hands.
So how to get the wiper arms off ? is like How to get to Carnagie Hall ? practice , practice Good luck

These arms have not been off in a while!! It look a little chemical help to get them off.

I sprayed some lube up in the arm at the spline to give it a little motivation. I used a 90 degree pick on the spring and a pair of channel locks with a rag over the arm to protect it.

I little rocking back & forth and little patience and they popped right off. :cheers: The rag over the arm helped, I didn't even scuff the finish on the arm.

Thanks again for the help, it was very appreciated!!

Does anyone know what material the arms are made of without me having to walk out to my garage and freeze my tootsie off?

I was wondering if they could be polished.

You probably don't want them polished. The glare could blind you while you're driving. Could be pretty funny for your buds tho! LOL Mike

The arms are stainless. There is a person polishing the OEM arms to a bright finish. He / she sells them on ebay. The small arms might not sun glare too bad . I wouldn't want the anti sail type polished. Then again autozone has those 2 blade wipers in chrome.

-
Back