Wiper linkage access question

-

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
My passenger side wiper is anemic and doesn’t move the full range that it should. I bought some year correct plastic bushings (hoping that’s all it needs) but, don’t know where to begin to access the linkage. Does the cowl easily come off on a ‘75 Dart Sport or is this the type of repair that involves laying on my back and accessing from underneath the interior dash?

If its like my 74 duster its from the inside, taking out the glove box and instrument cluster helps
On mine a pivot seized up and everything popped off, that was fun trying to figure out what went where and which way

If it's like my 1974 Dart, it involves the back breaking lying upside down and getting at it under the dash. It really only took me about 10 minutes to install the same bushings. I thought it would be harder.

Pull out the front seats, 4 to 8 nuts and you will have a ton so access

None of the cowls unbolt from 63-76. Nothing inside the cowl anyways. Every A body is under the dash.

I've typed out all I've learned about this wiper mechanism a few times before. We wish the wipers were outside the cabin like most other brands. Before 1968 Chrysler had metal bushings everywhere. Those would wear to clanking and/or squeaking behind the dash. Our first 67 went so bad that the cycling circuit breaker inside that switch cycled repeatedly until it failed.
When replacement plastic bushings in a daily driver last only 2 years where OEM lasted 20 plus years we are quick to blame the quality of the replacement bushings.
Because the pivot shafts run in 2 short bronze bushings and move only 180 degrees while pressure from blades is one sided, the wear pattern in those bushings looks like l\l . The drivers side pivot is catching force from the motor and transferring that to the passengers side pivot so most of the wear will be in the drivers side pivot. The good news, Pivot cast housings are mounted with 2 bolts, so symetrical. We can buy pivot service kits with grease fittings. We can mark the housings with a sharpie, remove them, flush, grease with white lithium, then re install the housings rotated 180 degrees from where they were (marking at bottom moves to top), with new water seals too. This puts whatever amount of wear the steel shaft has to less worn bushing walls. Wipers run smoother, quieter, longer.
If its not a daily driver, rarely driven in the rain, go at it one way or the other to replace bushings alone, and cross your fingers.

Gonna stick with my bronse bushed ones on my 67, and putting them in my sons 69. My 67 came with them, and they have very little to no wear. I got the other set off another 67 out here in west Texas. All have negligible wear since we dont get much rain. I plan on greasing them with Aeroshell 22 all temperature synthetic grease. This has no smell, and and keeps the same consistency regardless of heat or cold.

-
Back