wiper motor ballast resistor

-

LImopar

Reaction score
Still can not get my wipers to work. Anyone know where I could get a new ballast resistor for a 2 speed wiper motor. I want to try replacing the resistor before I go ahead and buy a new motor.

Have you checked that resistor with an ohm meter ? If it is bad and you can find out what the resistance was supposed to be you might buy one from radio shack, digikey.com etc..

Do they not work at all? The resistor is only for the low speed. If hi works but not low then its the resistor. If neither speed works it could be the motor or the switch, or binding of the linkage under the dash. Find a shop manual. It gives the procedure to test the motor. From my experiencee the 2 speed motor is a little more durable than the 3 speed or variable speed units. I think it has to do with the gear box more than the motor. But they do go bad. I got a replacement from rockauto. Think it was around $75 or so.

Larry

Still can not get my wipers to work. Anyone know where I could get a new ballast resistor for a 2 speed wiper motor. I want to try replacing the resistor before I go ahead and buy a new motor.

The resistor should be less than 100 ohms and is either going to be open or good. If you jump it the motor should go to full speed if things are working right. If not check for 12 volts at the resistor and work back toward the switch. It should be fairly easy to diagnose using voltmeter and/or jumper wire from V+.

-
Back