Wiper Motor Doesn't Work

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
So the downside to having parts sit around for a couple of years before being installed on the car is not knowing if they will work when they finally go on the car. Putting the finishing touches on my car and installed the wiper motor but it doesn't work. The linkage under the dash is not binding at all and the motor is getting power, but it won't spin. You can feel the motor getting warm and it will click when you turn it on and seems to have a hum, but it doesn't spin. Any thoughts on what might be the problem? I had this motor completely redone more than two years ago and presmuably what I got was a brand new rebuild. Now I'm not so sure. If the motor is in fact bad, does anyone have a recommendation to where I can get a new replacement/remanufactured motor quickly? This last thing is pretty much all that needs to be done to complete this project. This is terribly frustrating.

First disconnect your arm under the dash from the motor and try it.
It might just point out exactly where the problem is.
Also you should leave the wiper arms/blades off until the thing makes a pass and parks itself when shut off, THEN put the blades on.

Other than that the park assembly is probably bound up somehow inside the gear drive section.
OR, the motor got bound up on assy.
OR, it was a shitty rebuild.

Could even be all of the above but ya got to start somewhere.

they are pretty dependable - I would bet you have the "clocking" off somewhere.. but as mentioned above, first thing is to make sure the motor runs without arms connected

First disconnect your arm under the dash from the motor and try it.
It might just point out exactly where the problem is.
Also you should leave the wiper arms/blades off until the thing makes a pass and parks itself when shut off, THEN put the blades on.

Other than that the park assembly is probably bound up somehow inside the gear drive section.
OR, the motor got bound up on assy.
OR, it was a shitty rebuild.

Could even be all of the above but ya got to start somewhere.

My guy who put the wiper motor in told me that he pulled the wiper motor out of the car and hooked it to a battery (why does that sound fishy) for a hot lead and the main shaft on the motor simply would not turn. He also checked the linkage under the dash to ensure that it moves freely and seemed to think that it did. Explain what you mean by park assembly.

they are pretty dependable - I would bet you have the "clocking" off somewhere.. but as mentioned above, first thing is to make sure the motor runs without arms connected

What do you mean by the clocking is off. How could we adjust that?

My guy who put the wiper motor in told me that he pulled the wiper motor out of the car and hooked it to a battery (why does that sound fishy) for a hot lead and the main shaft on the motor simply would not turn. He also checked the linkage under the dash to ensure that it moves freely and seemed to think that it did. Explain what you mean by park assembly.

What do you mean by the clocking is off. How could we adjust that?

Park assembly is what controls the motor when you turn it off and it returns to the normal down position on it's own.
If the gear drive is jammed up it will stop the motor from turning.

Clocking means it might have been put in the car and hooked up in such a way as to jam up the linkage arms when it tries to move. (like it wasn't in the off position when installed but the wipers were put on anyway and binding)
It's not something that is adjustable.
If it doesn't turn with the arm for the linkage off the motor something is jacked up inside the motor or drive gear.

Park assembly is what controls the motor when you turn it off and it returns to the normal down position on it's own.
If the gear drive is jammed up it will stop the motor from turning.

Clocking means it might have been put in the car and hooked up in such a way as to jam up the linkage arms when it tries to move. (like it wasn't in the off position when installed but the wipers were put on anyway and binding)
It's not something that is adjustable.
If it doesn't turn with the arm for the linkage off the motor something is jacked up inside the motor or drive gear.

Sounds like the problem is internal to the motor. I believe I had it rebuilt by Passion4mopars, but unfortunately I can't seem to find the receipt from two years ago. Hopefully be able to touch base with them tomorrow and come up with a solution. Can't believe this right at the very end of this whole ordeal, but I guess that is the way it goes. Thanks.

passion for mopars does good work give kim a call and she will help you out .

passion for mopars does good work give kim a call and she will help you out .

In going back through my history, I think I had some obscure "FABO" member rebuild it. Unfortunately, all old private messages tied to the transaction died with the redesign, so I may be starting from scratch with Kim. But she will be getting a damn nice core though.

Can we assume when it was mounted in the firewall it did have the ground strap on it ?
The motor wont run without it.
I'm not sure one can connect a 12 volt wire to any 1 terminal and get that motor to run either. They are all wired differently. For some the park switch is a player, so 2 hot wires required to get run. Good luck with it.

Can we assume when it was mounted in the firewall it did have the ground strap on it ?
I'm not sure one can connect a 12 volt wire to any 1 terminal and get that motor to run either. They are all wired differently. For some the park switch is a player, so 2 hot wires required to get run. Good luck with it.

Ground strap was on it. The motor just would not spin. Sounded like it had a humming noise, but the gear wouldn't turn.

In going back through my history, I think I had some obscure "FABO" member rebuild it. Unfortunately, all old private messages tied to the transaction died with the redesign, so I may be starting from scratch with Kim. But she will be getting a damn nice core though.

Try sending a message to our member @Passion4Mopars. They have a great reputation & I'm sure will work with you to get things straightened out...

Try loosening the three bolts that hold it to the firewall, then turn it on, grab the motor and move it around in a circular motion.

When I first got my 70 Swinger the seller said the wipers would hang then stopped working all together. Started messing around with it, and like you, had power to the motor, but no movement. Tried pretty much everything then loosened up the mounts while it was on and they started working. Not sure if motor assembly somehow got tweaked on the firewall or what, but its been good for 8 months.

Had a chance to talk to Kim at Passion4mopars. She gave me a couple of additional ideas on things to try before just biting the bullet to get it repaired.

Absolutely true.
The multi speed motors use different windings in different combinations for the different speeds.

I think the two speed motors just use a resistor (like the heater blower does) for hi and low.

Clocking is on the switch plate and that determines the final park position of the wiper arms. A, B, C, etc.

Switch plate clocking.JPG

-
Back