Wiper motor slowly died

-

ratvon

Reaction score
On my 68 barracuda I took the wiper motor off to clean it up when I turned it on ,it started out working fine then slowed down and quit working how can I trouble shoot this thing .I grounded the housing and run a hot wire to each terminal and nothing

If it buzzes or hums at all when you put power to it, it could be just dry bushings in the motor (usually the back one)
I have drilled a small hole in the rear center at the back of the motor housing and put a few drops of oil in there and put a dab of RTV over the hole and had them work fine again for years.
Sometimes the bushing is so worn the motor armature gets off center and stalls the motor.

The drill and oil trick works on some heater blower motors that have dried up bushings also. (though those are usually the bushing at the squirrel cage end where most of the load and open to contamination is, and not at the back of the motor which is closed in)

https://www.passion4mopars.com/How-...ece-NevilleGeneral-Industries-Motors_b_4.html

I wouldn't recommend drilling a hole and adding a little oil. I'm making an assumption this is a three speed, but if it's a two speed, here's the bench test procedures on those as well.

https://www.passion4mopars.com/Benc...er-Motors-Concealed-and-Nonconcealed_b_5.html

If, by some chance, the armature is not exactly "plumb" , on a three speed a good way to realign the armature is to give it a decent whack with a rubber mallet on the cylinder screw. Don't hit it too close to the brush cap, that can break your brushes.

If you want to give me a call, feel free, we can explore some possibilities and see if we can get it working again. When you say you cleaned it up, how do you mean you cleaned it up?

I wouldn't recommend drilling a hole and adding a little oil. QUOTE]

Yea, we wouldn't want to do anything that works now would we. :D

No I have an issue with basically destroying Mopar components, of any kind, when they're in such short supply, not being reproduced, crushed in bone yards, etc. Drilling holes in a motor affects the reuse of the core for restoration purposes for the owner.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to remove the two screws holding the brush cap on the motor and actually use the correct grease rather than deface and ruin a component for future use? But what do I know?

Wouldn't it be just as easy to remove the two screws holding the brush cap on the motor and actually use the correct grease rather than deface and ruin a component for future use? But what do I know?

For you and I it would be easy. (I did exactly that with the one I have)
Somehow I just don't see a 1/32 hole and being sealed over as an issue.

Obviously you do. :D

-
Back