Wiper only works on one speed

-

RDJ

Reaction score
Anybody want to venture a guess, or a a starting point, on why my wipers work on low speed but not on high?

It is a 67 Barracuda. Has a two speed switch. The wiper motor is the kind that is parallel to the firewall, not the kind that is perpendicular to the firewall.

My first thought would be bad switch, that's where I would start.

Check the grounds. The ground strap on the motor can cause problems. The switch must be grounded to the dash also.
The motor gearbox assembly that lays flat against the firewall could be variable 3 speed ? A pic would help.

Here is a pic of the wiper motor. Does this help? Am I missing a ground wire?

This is exactly like the motor in my 73 Dart. The Dart used to have a two speed switch, but the post broke, and I replaced it with a three speed switch (only one I could find at the time that fit the plug pattern). The dart works on all speeds, but the lowest, that is supposed to be the intermittent, just goes at a slow speed, and the middle speed is slow and the third "click" in the switch works at normal high speed.

Attachments

• wipermotor.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 156
Here are a couple of pics of my switch.

My dash is apart right now fixing the fuel gauge and the speedo. Thanks to RedFish and the fuel gauge and DemonIVR he sent me, the fuel gauge works (initial testing anyway) and I am just waiting for my Speedo to come back Deluxe Speedo and Radio repair. The Speedo was seized up and they said that they fixed it.

Attachments

• wiperswitch 001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 193
  • wiperswitch2 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 158
I see the brass colored grouns strap at the motor but I also see what looks like fresh paint. Others have lost that ground connection due to paint. And the wiper switch need to be chassis grounded. There's not many parts of these cars that will work right while dangling from the harness connectors.

I see the brass colored grouns strap at the motor but I also see what looks like fresh paint. Others have lost that ground connection due to paint. And the wiper switch need to be chassis grounded. There's not many parts of these cars that will work right while dangling from the harness connectors.

I guess I will remove the wiper motor and sand the paint behind the motor, see what that does. Or maybe just run a wire to a ground first to see if that is the problem.

-
Back