Wiper pivot arm bushing replacement???

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
Hello All,

Well both my wiper pivot bushings shattered last night. Hell it wasn't even raining. So now to replace them. I got the pivot rod out easy enough. It was just laying under the dash.

So how are the bushings installed? Are they press fit? What holds the bushing on to the shaft of the wiper lever? Should be simple enough but....

Thanks All!

Greg A

They do vary, and are specific. Post a pic if you can. Do you have the ones with the groove in the arm? They are a hard fit too. I just put them in my car a while back and had to use channel locks to press them in. But be sure you have the right ones first.

OK, I think I got the right ones from O' Reily's. Also got some white lithium grease. Bushings in the freezer for a few minutes then, apply the grease and pop them in. I hope.

Thanks for the help..

Actually, they tend to pop in better when warm, not cold. At least that's been my experience in the past.

I fill a can with scalding hot water and drop the bushings in it for a few minutes (use a pair of needle nose pliers to retrieve it) and it will pop right into the linkage/arm with just 2 fingers pushing on it.

Dry it, put your grease in (and while it's still warm), install it in the car.

Easier than pinching your fingers with a pair of channel locks, been there before, used to install bushings that way. Always seems that when you've "almost" got the bushing in, the channel locks slip off the bushing and wack... pinch the tips of your fingers between the handles :D

@74Dusted...Thanks..I'll try that with the next set. Already ruined one set. :-(

Oops! I was going to warn you, but my computer wouldn't connect to the internet in time.
I wrote the step-by-step installation referred to earlier and tried to point out there that those linkage bushings pop in much easier when softened a little in hot water. Guess you figured that out by now.

By the way, the grease is not actually needed on the outside of the bushings to ease their installation. You need to put a dab inside the hollow pocket of the bushings where the other linkage arms will snap in. It lubricates the joints where they pivot. I don't know if I made that clear in my write-up.

Good luck on the next attempt... :wink:

Got new bushings today. Heated them up in boiling water. They popped right end. Applied grease in the hole where they mount to the wiper arm shaft. They popped right on. I could feel the pop when theylocked down. Everything went together prefectly.

Thanks all!

Greg A

Good deal, I like the idea of warming them, never thought of it. I really had no trouble just popping mine in at all, other than they were a "snug" fit.

Don't know if they are available any longer packaged like this, but here are the Doorman brand bushings I used several years ago - found them in the HELP! section of a local parts store, two in a package. Later, I was only able to find a couple of them in a multi-pack with several other useless ones. Check with NAPA.

Attachments

• 49440_1.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 49447_1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 277
I've got the problem of them breaking every 6-8 months...I've done 4 sets of them in the last couple of years.

Early A's are better. No plastic. Brass bushings with felt washers to hold the grease. Unlikely they would fit a later A since the body got wider, wiper motor moved to the engine bay, etc. Still, worth a try if you see one in the JY.

-
Back