wiper pivot repair?

-
I used a dorman shock bushing kit, and some grey strip screen door weather stripping. Get creative.

the Pivot itself is worn out. Not the seal. the rod where the wiper arm is mounted on is loose in the housing. Has lots of side play

There are 2 bronze bushings about 3/4 inch long at each end of the cast housings.
I find much more wear in the left hand pivots. Left is under more load after all.
I often find the pivot shaft worn nearly as bad as the bushings. too. This forces me to use good shafts from right pivots in rebuilding left pivots.
Anyway... They aren't easy to rebuild. My advise is seek out a good used pivot from a late model donor or at least a dry climate location.

Ok, there are bushings at each end. I thought from seeing and feeling the housing is worn. Not the harder shaft.
Those pivots are hard to find. Especially here

Ok, there are bushings at each end. I thought from seeing and feeling the housing is worn. Not the harder shaft.
Those pivots are hard to find. Especially here

The shaft rotates only about 180 degrees. All the wear in bushing and shaft will be in half the surface. If the shaft is worn, a half turn will tighten it up. If all of the wear is in the bushing alone rotating the shaft wont make any difference.
If/when I'm only replacing pivot seals, I mark the housing before I remove it so I can put it back a half round from where it was.

You are right. Disassembled today. Half way rotten shaft. Bushings are ovals.
But turning and putting together then the rotten Part will ruin the bushings pretty fast and i will have play again.
Will see if i can purchase replacements and/or machine new shafts.

You are right. Disassembled today. Half way rotten shaft. Bushings are ovals.
But turning and putting together then the rotten Part will ruin the bushings pretty fast and i will have play again.
Will see if i can purchase replacements and/or machine new shafts.

I would contact Wildcat Wrecking or other in the southwest and buy the latest model pivot assemblies they can offer.

What car do you have? You might find good used ones on here someone might mail to you.

-
Back