wiper pivot seals

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
I was looking at my wiper shafts....the knob that the wiper arm goes on has the center of the shaft peened to hold it, right?

so therefore, to replace the seal, the end would have to be ground so it can be removed?

i assume this is why you use valve stem seals....because it's more feasible that disassembling the shaft....

mine is out, by the way...i was under the dash looking at stuff and noticed the ease of removing it, so i took it out to look at it better.....
just want to be sure i'm right on how it's assembled

Im not sure, I havent replaced mine yet. But Schumacher services sell a nice kit to replace them. All the seals and gaskets.

The kit I got from Schaumacher had a stiff foam donut for the seal at the serated knob. The instructions were to lube it up and stretch it over the knob, no mention of removing the knob, plus I have never heard of anyone doing that to fix them. When you re-install the pivot assemble this foam donut is compressed up against the bottom of the oter cowl vent sheet metal.

The end that bolts to the cowl was also a die cut foam gasket. I used some silicone on it.

The other thing to check is to make sure the drains on either side of the cowl behind the fenders are not plugged. I fished a wire in from by the hood hinges to clean out mine.

I still get some water into the car during heavy rain. I think it's coming in around where the heater box connects to the cowl and the vent box on the drivers side.

i thought mine might be leaking at the vent attachment too, but i saw that the foam seal around the wiper shaft looked shot, and when I pulled the shaft out, the seal fell into about 10 pieces....so I'm pretty sure THAT'S the leak....we'll see after i get new seals

i just had to change them seals too. When I saw the seals that had to go over them knobs, I just about crapped my pants thinking MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. I was wrong, they actually do expand far enough. Is a test of patience though.

i found it REALLY REALLY easy bu clamping the plate with the linkage mounts in a vise (it's connected rigidly to the shaft, so the knurled end wouldn't turn) with the knob pointing away from me.....run a finger wet with dishsoap around the knob (this is sounding kinda kinky), and the seal pulled right over...took about 3 seconds.....

When I did mine, I used a few drops of oil inside the seal and stretched it over a dowel rod the same size as the pivot shaft. I left it on there for about 5 minutes, then slipped it off the dowel rod and right onto the pivot shaft. Then it comformed back to it's original size. They are trickey to work with but this way worked with no problem at all. Hope this helps.

I have done mine in 3 of my cars and heres what i done

take a 1/4 drive socket the size of the shaft and put it on and then slide the seal down over the socket i put alittle liquid soap on the socket .

both seals total time of 2-3 minutes.

bill

I have done mine in 3 of my cars and heres what i done

take a 1/4 drive socket the size of the shaft and put it on and then slide the seal down over the socket i put alittle liquid soap on the socket .

both seals total time of 2-3 minutes.

bill

A long dead thread still breaths life!

Your tip here was invaluable - the dish soap and the extension trick worked perfect - thanks!!

Jim

I also installed the grease fittings and lubed mine up, they had been leaking for some time, right on top of my foot. No leaks now. May as well replace all those plastic linkage bearings/clips while you are into it. Was really not as tough a job as thought it would be. Who had to use vise grips to seat the linkages back on the balls with those little plastic bushings? My hands were not up to the task.

I'm replacing my seals now. The kit I got has two small lengths of what look like body sealer. Can someone tell me where they go?

Thanks,
Ken

I'm replacing my seals now. The kit I got has two small lengths of what look like body sealer. Can someone tell me where they go?

Thanks,
Ken

The strip caulk is for use on the new foam seals where they're bolted to the cowl.

The strip caulk is for use on the new foam seals where they're bolted to the cowl.

So, put the foam gasket on and then the strip caulk around the base of the shaft?

Thanks again,
Ken

Well, I like this thread. I'll be replacing mine as well. I want to get one of those tools to take off my wiper arm though. Listle tool??? Is that what they call it??

-
Back