Wiper pivot seals

-

gold swinger

Reaction score
Hey folks anybody else purchase wiper pivot gaskets kits from classic industries? Warning they are crap! Watched a couple u tube videos they should be a very very snug fit.Mine slipped over way you too easy .They leaked right from the get go.Wondering if anyone has used the ones from year one.Very dissatisfied and are not easy to replace.

We used the ones from Mancini. They were a good snug fit....

I heated mine up in the toaster oven to 150° F to get them pliable enough to get over the knurled ends. Then use a 3/8" drive extension to help spread the seal to get it over the tip of the wiper knurl. It worked great.

Try the kit from Schumacher, which has the seals, grease zerks and a small piece of rope seal and a complete set of instructions. About $26 shipped. NO LEAKS.

A tapered socket will also work with a dab of Dawn.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats what I used. They sat for a year before installing though so they had tightened back up a bit and were very snug. Grease fitting's were not bad to install and used some thick heavy grease.

The weather or water seal to keep the interior dry is at the flat foam body gaskets with rope caulk. The large foam collar is just a filler. Water going past it goes inside the cowl which shouldn't be a problem.

Yep.

But the water sometimes goes right down the shaft. Which is why having the zerk fitting's and greased up well keeps the water out. The foam cowl seals and caulk stops the rest.

I have a hard time imagining a significant amount of water passing all the parts of a wiper pivot assembly to the interior.
The upper bushing and that portion of the shaft wears enough with age to let water inside between the upper and lower bushing. Then rust on the shaft develops which contaminates the small amount of grease the factory put in that cavity between the bushings, then wear at the lower bushing accelerates. A zerk does let one add grease
to that cavity without completely disassembling the pivot.
Anyway... I'll have to say IF there is more than tiny amount of water getting through the inside of a wiper pivot, that pivot has significant wear.

My opinion stands. I have used the product and it works as advertised.

All the seals and components are required and are all important to achieve a leak free pivot.

Hey folks anybody else purchase wiper pivot gaskets kits from classic industries? Warning they are crap! Watched a couple u tube videos they should be a very very snug fit.Mine slipped over way you too easy .They leaked right from the get go.Wondering if anyone has used the ones from year one.Very dissatisfied and are not easy to replace.

Any chance your kit was mislabeled? Have you tried to contact Classic Industries about this?

Try the kit from Schumacher, which has the seals, grease zerks and a small piece of rope seal and a complete set of instructions. About $26 shipped. NO LEAKS.

A tapered socket will also work with a dab of Dawn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I used these no leaks and good fit

The kit from classic had no grease zerks.just foam gasket strip of caulk and foam sleeve.So if I pulled the wiper pivot install grease fittings it may cure the leakage as long as it is not worn too bad.I guess I should play contortionist and have someone spray to see if it is the gasket or wiper pivot itself.Really appreciate the info fellas.

ATTENTION ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Do I have your attention?)

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Sanding/Micro-Mesh_Foam_Sanding_Block.html

You can get this and make your own with a little hole saw to the size of your choosing.
Go slow.
The material seems to be the same as what you are buying. (Maybe better?)
And you can chose how thick you want it to seal up better.
The 1/4 drill pilot hole your saw will make it good and tight around the shaft.
(Did I say that?)
I've done it. Works great. We had the Micro Mesh kits at work and once you used the kits the blocks were expendable because every kit came with one.
Now thanks to the wonders of the interweb, I can find the blocks a la carte.
If you screw up. Just make some more.

-
Back