wiper pivot

-

Cythomas

Reaction score
Hey guys took my dash out of my 73 duster and noticed my drivers side pivot needs to be repalced, can you buy just the pivot ?

Hey guys took my dash out of my 73 duster and noticed my drivers side pivot needs to be repalced, can you buy just the pivot ?
Just curious, what retainer did you find where the pivot attaches to the linkage? My wiper quit some time ago. Motor runs fine, you can move wiper manually. I think the attach point let go. I'm too old and big to get my body down under there to look up.

Yes, the linkage sockets are plastic and break easily after all these years. They're easy to find (even the dealer had them the last time I checked since they are the same ones used in '72-up pickups). The local auto parts store had them to as well as places online. I recommend pulling the whole wiper transmission out as a unit and replacing all of them at the same time. If one broke, there rest are probably not long for this world either. Now, if it's the drive link bushing, some of those are made of unobtainium......mainly the 3 speed and variable speed ones.

Yes, the linkage sockets are plastic and break easily after all these years. They're easy to find (even the dealer had them the last time I checked since they are the same ones used in '72-up pickups). The local auto parts store had them to as well as places online. I recommend pulling the whole wiper transmission out as a unit and replacing all of them at the same time. If one broke, there rest are probably not long for this world either. Now, if it's the drive link bushing, some of those are made of unobtainium......mainly the 3 speed and variable speed ones.
I mean the whole aluminum pivot which the wiper arm attaches too

Yes, sorry, I was responding to crewchief's post. If your pivot is just frozen or real stiff, free it up with penetrating oil. I usually drill a hole in the housing and install a grease fitting to help lube it up and keep it from happening again. If it's totally worn out, replacement is probably your only option unless you can figure some way of disassembling it and installing a bushing. Probably more work that it's worth. There should be plenty of used ones out there. There again, I would put all new bushings in while you have it apart.

Cudamark, Got pics of these parts?

Bushings, I haven't been able to take a peak under there.

Nothing handy to take a photo of. They're shown online in many places though, so, just Google it.

Like these?
Bushings.jpg

Ok thanks, I need to look up under there to see if they're accessible without too much difficultly.

That's why I recommend pulling the whole wiper transmission out and doing it on the bench. It's especially bad if you have A/C.

That's why I recommend pulling the whole wiper transmission out and doing it on the bench. It's especially bad if you have A/C.
It's a 73 Duster. I don't see that happening at least by me. Want to do it when you get back east? And yes it has A/C.

Cudamike, you should do it for me since she came from Glenwood Motors, Riverside, CA. Ha

-
Back