Wipers, washers, lights and horn

-

rdb

Reaction score
1. Wipers. I wanted to put in a delay/intermittent wiper control in the 64 Dart, got one off ebay and my guys can't get it to work. Maybe it's defective but also instead of the normal 2 speed (slow/fast) setup this Dart has sort of a variable slow to fast thing (actually the difference between slow and fast isn't that much) and wondered if something electrical/circuit related in this set up is not compatible w/ the aftermarket delay. Also were all 64s like this or was this attempt-at-variable speed some kind of option? Is there a recomended delay unit anyone has used sucessfully?

Wipers seem small and flimsy compared to present day.. any more robust wiper arms that fit.. this is a very minor priority.

2. Washer. it still has the washer pump motor that hasn't been tested but no fluid holder/container, but hoses and jets are there. Is there a total new all-in-one that anyone has used? Some have the pump/motor right in the top of the unit. 70s Volvo had this.

3. Dash lights- they seem rather dim. I figured bulbs would either work or not. The variable brightness works, but even on max it's not much. They all work, tho.

4. Horn-- as you see from pix I only have one horn. One was totally toast and they didn't install it. I think the one I have is the lower tone, but not sure. In pix you can see the wire that goes on other hortn. Anyway, will be looking for the right horn to bolt back on.

Thanks for all the advice over the last year.

Bob B

Attachments

• 20151114_095439.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 135
There are better bulbs available that will work in the 64 panel if you change to the later type bulb sockets. They fit right in your circuit board without altering anything.

1. Wipers. I wanted to put in a delay/intermittent wiper control in the 64 Dart, got one off ebay and my guys can't get it to work. Maybe it's defective but also instead of the normal 2 speed (slow/fast) setup this Dart has sort of a variable slow to fast thing (actually the difference between slow and fast isn't that much) and wondered if something electrical/circuit related in this set up is not compatible w/ the aftermarket delay. Also were all 64s like this or was this attempt-at-variable speed some kind of option? Is there a recomended delay unit anyone has used sucessfully?

I will be looking at this myself as I also have the variable speed wiper switch. IIRC, the stock switch was a single switch where the variable 2 speed was an option

2. Washer. it still has the washer pump motor that hasn't been tested but no fluid holder/container, but hoses and jets are there. Is there a total new all-in-one that anyone has used? Some have the pump/motor right in the top of the unit. 70s Volvo had this.

The 64 used a washer bag (hard to find one in good condition), the 65 used the same washer pump but the hard plastic reservoir. I'd switch to the 65 style.

3. Dash lights- they seem rather dim. I figured bulbs would either work or not. The variable brightness works, but even on max it's not much. They all work, tho.

Maybe check with SlantSixDan on a better bulb to use for the dash lights. He can recommend better bulbs for tail lights, b/u lights, headlights, etc.

4. Horn-- as you see from pix I only have one horn. One was totally toast and they didn't install it. I think the one I have is the lower tone, but not sure. In pix you can see the wire that goes on other hortn. Anyway, will be looking for the right horn to bolt back on.

Thanks for all the advice over the last year.

Bob B

If needed, I have a set of correct Hi/Lo horns for the early A.

Thanks for all the info and references.
will take a while to get thru it all. some projects will slow down over the winter, but I still plan to get going on this. Would say washer is most important

Going to troll for '65 style container.

I guess what was stated means that 1 speed wiper was base, and two speed version was the variable one -- and so 2 fixed speeds never happened (am curious about this)

Interesting that GT parts 64 Dart I had, even tho GT did not have a washer(!)

-
Back