Wire around lengths

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for people to measure the length of wire required to build Alternator Charge stud to Starter Relay Stud wire around set ups.

If you have any of these cars, I'd appreciate some assistance in getting the wire lengths. Using a piece of string or wire, mirror the same path the OEM wiring, following the valve cover , back to firewall, across firewall then up inner fender to starter relay.

63-66 A body /6
63-66 A body /6 w/AC

67-76 A body /6
67-76 A body /6 w/AC

67-76 A body SB w/AC 84" Thanks 318moparguy

If you are looking for a bulkhead wire around, I'll provide them at a discounted rate to the first responders to each length that assists completing the database.

Thanks for any help

Rob

I'll take a look at my 70 Dart 318 w/AC when I get home and let you know. Do you want a pm of the length or post it up here?

Hi Rob,
The wire length for a 73 Dart SB w/AC from alt. to starter relay is 84" (7')...following the original paths. Relays working great...
Take care,
Greg

none of my cars have AC, but just wondering, why is the length different from alt. to starter relay, AIR or NO AIR?????/

on my '63 slant dart NO air, I get 55 in on the 65 dart slant no air I get 60 in. the starter relay sits a little lower on the 65. far as I can tell they are original. I measure with a small measuring tape. maybe have someone else measure with string. no need to send wire, 8 ft 10 ga at parts store is $3.50.

You don't need a 67-76 A body SB w/o AC?

Already have that one. If you like one when you order the headlight kit, let me know. I'll work with you because of the multiple purchases.

none of my cars have AC, but just wondering, why is the length different from alt. to starter relay, AIR or NO AIR?????/

on my '63 slant dart NO air, I get 55 in on the 65 dart slant no air I get 60 in. the starter relay sits a little lower on the 65. far as I can tell they are original. I measure with a small measuring tape. maybe have someone else measure with string. no need to send wire, 8 ft 10 ga at parts store is $3.50.

The brackets and mounting points are sometimes different on the AC vs no AC cars. I'd want to have a good database to cover most of the differences if any.

Thanks for the measurements.

Doesn't the wire from the hot stud on the alternator go to the "P" connector in the bulkhead connector?

I believe this is for the bulkhead bypass and direct from the alternator to the starter relay

if you need I can take pics show where the starter relay sits on my 63 and 65 slant darts, or 65 273 cuda. I have a 64 slant dart but the wiring ( starter relay) is not attached but I can hook it up if needed.

mother mopar coudn't build any interchangability onto anything much less place the starter relay in the same spot 2 yrs in a row!?? ha

if you need I can take pics show where the starter relay sits on my 63 and 65 slant darts, or 65 273 cuda. I have a 64 slant dart but the wiring ( starter relay) is not attached but I can hook it up if needed.

mother mopar coudn't build any interchangability onto anything much less place the starter relay in the same spot 2 yrs in a row!?? ha

Sure thing. Pictures would be great.

On a small block, you can run a thick wire from ALT stud to BAT+, going across the timing cover. That is how the Magnum engines were wired. Indeed, I used that wire from a junkyard Magnum engine, along w/ the other battery cables, in wiring my 65 Dart. See my "Modernized Engine Wiring ..." post. I didn't actually run it to BAT+, but you could (Magnums did). I designed so my ammeter still works. Magnum V-8's were in Dodge trucks and some Jeeps.

On a small block, you can run a thick wire from ALT stud to BAT+, going across the timing cover. That is how the Magnum engines were wired. Indeed, I used that wire from a junkyard Magnum engine, along w/ the other battery cables, in wiring my 65 Dart. See my "Modernized Engine Wiring ..." post. I didn't actually run it to BAT+, but you could (Magnums did). I designed so my ammeter still works. Magnum V-8's were in Dodge trucks and some Jeeps.

Yes, except it sticks out on an earlier car and most don't like that.

-
Back