Wire connector

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
My driver side front turn signal is not working. I have determined it is being caused by a bad connector. Can someone tell me either how to disassemble the connector or where to get a replacement? It is 14 gauge with a t shaped connector. Top connector is horizontal and bottom is vertical. Bottom connector is centered under the top connector.

any pictures of the connector?--- a lot of the early cars have a small tab that holds the terminal in place-- a simple small flat blade will push it down & the connector can be pulled off, Lawrence

Those connectors are termed "56 terminal" or "Packard 56" (electrical manufacturer, not the Packard automobile). They were common on Mopars and GM's in the 60's and 70's, and found on appliances, etc. They match the common "1/4" spade terminals". If the plastic housings are fine, you can remove the contacts and clean them. To release male contacts, squeeze lengthwise at the bottom with needle-nose pliers, wiggle, and pull slightly. Bent-tip pliers work best. For female contacts, press a thin, flat tool in the little slot on the front end and press towards the contact while pushing the contact into the connector, then wiggle it out as you hold the locking finger in. I use a little Dollar Store saw that is just the right width and bent the tip a bit. You can buy these connectors and contacts on ebay and auto electrical stores (I got a whole box of various ones) and find photos that explains above better. Note that many newer male contacts have a locking finger like the females. Use di-electric grease when you re-assemble.

That is the correct connector. Your original one is brass, so just surface corrosion (green) you can easily remove. Get some spray "contact cleaner" (Ace?) and a set of small files (Harbor Freight). You can clean it in the housing. Then measure resistance from the connector to source (lamp switch terminal?). If <2 ohm, it should work fine. Re-install w/ dielectric grease (silicone, any auto parts).

-
Back