Wire gauge and fuses for Alternator upgrade

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 dart, had been running a 1963 (dated) alternator, single field. Decided to swap in a new 55amp alternator (still single field) to help even out the power supply as I suspected the 1963 unit may not be as stable. Lights are now more stable.

Wiring is original, so I am trying to determine a better way to wire the alternator to avoid problem with the bigger alternator. I read an article that says I can run 2 new wires, in tandem, from alt BATT out to the positive on my Battery. Then place 2 fuses on each of the new wires, nearest the connection. So a total of 2 new wires, each with 2 new fuses on them.
The suggested gauge is 10g, with 50a fuses. The only type of replaceable fuses that go that high are the MAXi. I have found inline MAXi fuse holders, using 8g, can not find 10g inline holders that handle 50a fuse. Doesn't exist.

FYI: my ammeter is cut and tied together under the dash.

So I like the idea of the shunt using 2 separate cable runs (extra safe), however unable to find in the 10g format. So is there any harm in bumping the wires up to the 8g? Or do you think this is overkill?

I like 8Ga wire and a 50amp circuit breaker from alt to battery and parallel 10ga wire from a 40 amp circuit breaker from the battery to the inside of the car.

66 dart, had been running a 1963 (dated) alternator, single field. Decided to swap in a new 55amp alternator (still single field) to help even out the power supply as I suspected the 1963 unit may not be as stable. Lights are now more stable.

Wiring is original, so I am trying to determine a better way to wire the alternator to avoid problem with the bigger alternator. I read an article that says I can run 2 new wires, in tandem, from alt BATT out to the positive on my Battery. Then place 2 fuses on each of the new wires, nearest the connection. So a total of 2 new wires, each with 2 new fuses on them.
The suggested gauge is 10g, with 50a fuses. The only type of replaceable fuses that go that high are the MAXi. I have found inline MAXi fuse holders, using 8g, can not find 10g inline holders that handle 50a fuse. Doesn't exist.

So I like the idea of the shunt using 2 separate cable runs (extra safe), however unable to find in the 10g format. So is there any harm in bumping the wires up to the 8g? Or do you think this is overkill?
it would be easier and make more sense to up grade to the 1973 and up square back alt, and newer regulator, no more blinking head lites

I did this very upgrade to my 72 Duster a few months back and iirc I found 10 ga 50 amp maxi fuse holders. I'll look for em again.

I have a 66 cuda and would like to keep my original look and functions where I can (battery cables, electrical gauge, etc).

But in adding a stereo with amps and a few modern items I know I need to run a new heavy duty circuit (4 gauge from the battery a fuse/ then into a 3 way terminal and separates out 8 gauge to the amps and another fuse box. (I'll also add a couple relays for this to allow things to turn on with ignition power not just power all the time).

However my concern is my alternator can handle it and I'll need to up it. In doing this I figure I'll need to up the gauge of the tiny wire from the alternator.

If I do that and allow a path of least resistance, even a higher output alternator should be good no? Even if I leave the gauge connected? Anything I'm missing or places in the original wiring that I also need to beef up or where to add a fuse/breaker/fuseable link?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you run two no10's in parallel, I would not fuse "each." I would put one large fuse feeding both. You want that fuse as close to the battery as you can, rather than closer to the alternator

-
Back