Wire Gauge

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
What gauge wire would you recommend for a powermaster 75 amp unit with external regulator. I seen 10 gauge on mads site but also was told you should run a 8 gauge. Also do you have any recommendations on a fuse holder and a part number that would work with it and should it be mounted just before the battery. Thanks guys

I would go with 8 gauge, you can get a maxi-fuse holder but I wouldn't. Just run the wire as short as possible and protect it with wire braid.

Either 8 or two-three 10 ga in parallel. The thing about 10 in parallel is you can easily find terminals and wire.

HOWEVER when you say "powermaster" and "external" are you talking about a firewall mount regulator, or the one they sell with the regulator hanging onto the alternator?

If the latter, this is more like a "one wire" meaning the sense terminal is right there at the alternator

In that case you want a VERY low resistance path to the battery. If you still have stock wiring (ammeter), "that ain't it"

On the basic wire arounds I've built, I use 8ga with a 12ga fusible link.

I could also build something with a Maxi fuse. Once you start getting up in amps, the availability of compact fusing solutions is reduced.

I thought a fuseable link is not recommended and the fuse was a better way to go

Hey guys...made a mistake, was ordering a 75amp and ended up with a 95 amp. Can you guys give me an idea on the gauge size and fuse. Oh and your headlight wiring kit went in like a charm Rob. Oh and the voltage regulator is a newer electronic version mounted on the firewall. Alternator is the newer square back with external and 3-wire built by powermaster in black. Will be running wire direct to battery and prefer a fuse as to a fusable link

-
Back