Wires

-

usdart

Reaction score
I recieved my used wire set for under the hood of my Dart. The guy sent me Batt Cables, Starter relay still connected, Wires look real good, only one splice and one cut wire in the whole loom.

Question is; how do I clean and restore the entire loom. I had planned on cleaning and re-tapeing the whole thing but, the tape at Auto Zone is not that good a product. Anyone know of a better brand of black tape to use?

Should I clean it and leave the old tape and tape over it, or strip it to re-wrap?

I'd clean it up and test it out as is. Do you have a icture of the wires.
Depending on the level your car is at. It may dictate what I would do. The problem with the wires is there old. The plastic coating is probably brittle and could crack easy.
Can of worms?

rumblefish360 said:
I'd clean it up and test it out as is. Do you have a icture of the wires.
Depending on the level your car is at. It may dictate what I would do. The problem with the wires is there old. The plastic coating is probably brittle and could crack easy.
Can of worms?
I was just out in the garage cleaning them. The tape is fragile, but, the wires seem in good shape. Still plyable and color looks good.

Wish I knew how to attach a pic! :color:

DO NOT use normal electrical tape!!!!!!! First wipe down the wires with a rag with a little alcohol on it. No, not jack daniels either, thats for you. Get a roll of "tape" from year one. The original did not have adhesive on it. If you use a tape with adhesive, in about 2 months you will have the nastiest mess on your hands that you ever have seen!!!!!!!!! Use the nonadhesive tape and just tuck in the ends. Lok at your original looms. Peel back some of the original tape. See no adhesive. Please do not make the mistake of using the wrong tape.

don

That is what I was looking to hear..Thank you, I almost added that to my list of 'oh crap' what was I thinking. :notworth:

First wipe down the wires with a rag with a little alcohol on it. No, not jack daniels either, thats for you.
:lol: :thumbup:
Now where were you for that advice 12 years ago.
Ohhh man, like goo gone wild.

-
Back