Wiring 67 fastback....

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1967 barracuda 383 stick car. American autowire classic update series. Looking for advice on wire size on this wire that goes from starter relay batt post to starter stud. You can see the pos wire from batt (1/0), the 6 ga from megafuse. This l the wire in question looks smaller but isn't called out (as far as i can tell) ..... I'm also wondering if this wire has got to go to the starter post as i have 12 V power much closer (megafuse is right next door) starter has power straight from battery.

THANKS FABO
1627862391261181098184.jpg

What I see is rather than the battery positave wire going to the starter relay post it is going to the starter itself. From there the 6awg wire takes the battery positive to the rest of the car.

The small red wire A E takes power from the starter post where the bat and the rest of the car attaches to the relay to provide 12v through the relay to the starter solenoid

What I see is rather than the battery positave wire going to the starter relay post it is going to the starter itself. From there the 6awg wire takes the battery positive to the rest of the car.

The small red wire A E takes power from the starter post where the bat and the rest of the car attaches to the relay to provide 12v through the relay to the starter solenoid

Thanks D67D!

So do you think that I have to run a wire from the starter relay to the starter itself? It says to, but it seems redundant. I think I should be able to run from the starter relay post to anywhere on that 'megafuse'. 12V is 12V ya? its a much shorter run and it wouldn't be running in the "hot area". (header)

2nd question is ...what size wire should that be? 6ga seems a bit heavy.

If I understand your question correctly...

You want to run a 12v source from the megafuse to the starter relay post instead of running from the starter post where the battery connects.

I would say that SHOULD be fine.
As for guage I would say if it is the same as the purple #6 you would be good to go.

If you are not in a hurry, I would contact the wire manufacturer and ask the same question.

In all reality I do not see why they deviated from Chryslers design. As you pointed out why run more wires than are necessary by the headers / manifold

I spoke with AA and they confirmed that I can run from the starter relay post to the megafuse. Ill use this thread in the future for more questions....Im sure there will be a few. Thanks again @Dana67Dart

Sorry I missed this. How large is the wire feeding the megafuse? If nothing else is pulled off the starter relay stud, then it's only feeding the starter solenoid. I'd run no10 if that's the case (or larger is OK) from battery source to the relay stud, and from the "square" terminal to starter.

Ok. So I have from batt to starter main post with 1/0 (batt in trunk). Then power goes to 'megafuse' with 6 ga (is that 6/0?) Then to the starter relay with 6 ga. I noticed my starter relay is of later vintage with an extra post. Can I still use the later relay? I probably have an earlier one around here someplace, but this one is in nice condition.

Thanks FABO

"0" wire sizes ---------- Wire gauges as I'm sure you know get larger from such as 18, 24 (larger) 10 (larger), 6 (even larger) down to 1 and then 0 and then the more "o" (ought) the larger the wire, so 0 is larger than 1 which is larger than 2, and "00" or "double ought" is larger than 1 and larger than "0"

No.6 to the relay won't hurt. You can use that stud for a junction to add things "hot" with battery so having a large feed to it will not hurt.

The later relay has one extra contact you normally don't need. That relay would be useful if you are using a non-mopar ignition switch, you can use the extra contact in place of the IGN2 contact on the key. Otherwise leave bare, is this what you mean? I call them a "Jeep" relay

33003934.jpg

-
Back