wiring connecter for neutral safety switch

-

mega4jerry

Reaction score
ok I posted on here two weeks ago and thanks for all the help. im still working on the same project and keep running in to problems:banghead: Got all ignition and charging wires hooked up after lots of coffee:coffee2: now I just figured out third member was locked up. I ordered a new one from mopar madness (900 dollars later). Now I switched the tail housing and trying to hook up the neutral safety switch with no luck. I just cant find the leads and all the books I have are not showing where it hooks into the fire wall. this is all on a 69 dodge dart with a 340 in it. any ideas where I the lead hooks up and by that I don't mean on the tranny that's a no brainer

One quick question, auto or manual? The NSS goes from the 3 pin connector (auto trans) to the starter relay. It's the center contact on the trans connector if I remember right. You can use a ohm meter to check it. One side to ground and the other to the harness. One of the leads will be grounded when it's in park and neutral. On the manual, I'm not sure if they had one in 69. It should be on the clutch pedal if it is. You have to depress the clutch to start. The starter relay is the terminal end for both, you ground the lug next to the ign stud.

All you need is a service manual, the downloads.....

BUT YOU must know for certain "what harness" you have, not only what year and model, but "what options" it came with. WORSE some years there was a couple of MISPRINTS in the service manual concerning the bulkhead

Sound like fun?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Was this originally an "automatic" car?

You will have to do with the 69 Plymouth manual

Engine bay is original page no. 8-117, page 333 or so in your viewer

Inst. panel is original page 8-132, pages 348 and 349

Notice that the OUTSIDE two wires go to

B2-18BK goes to "C" of the bulkhead connector (BlacK)

B1-18V goes to "D" of the bulkhead connector (Violet)

The center connection is your neutral safety, S4-18BR (BrowN) goes over to one of the two "push on" terminals of the starter relay

On the INSIDE of the bulkhead connector, "D" has changed to white, C has changed to violet, and the inst. panel diagram STILL SHOWS A SHIFTER MOUNT backup switch for an automatic (bottom right, page 348) and the two wires are marked "manual transmission backup)

Let's move up to "70"

In the "Dart Challenger" manual, this actually used Mopar style page numbers.

Engine bay 8-89, Inst. panel 8-98 - 99

Here we show black from the switch going to D of the bulkhead, same as above

We show the violet going to C of the bulkhead same as above.

Now we go to the inst panel page 8-98

This time, we show both C and D is a white

C, B2-18W, goes down to page 8-99, in at lower left Follow it clear to the right of the page, it goes to pin 6 of your rear harness connector.

D B1-18W goes up to the RADIO connector, RED. What they are doing, is using the radio to pick up power there. That should be hot anytime the key is in "run

Attachments

• backup.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 183
  • bulkhead.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 116
  • bulkhead70.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 103
  • radio.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 107
-
Back