Wiring Diagram - A body column to GM aftermarket?

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete wiring diagram for a GM aftermarket wiring. I'm using the American Autowire Highway 22 kit and I'm wanting to change over the stock column to the GM wiring plug.

Thanks,

Riddler

Hmm no one has every rewired the stock column using the GM plug? I've found a wiring diagram that shows the turn signals and such. But nothing for the rest of the wires.

Riddler

Depends on what you are doing for ignition. Mopar is the only car line which had the ignition bypass circuit in the ignition switch. GM and Ford used a separate contact / terminal on the starter solenoid

Finding column wiring should not be difficult isn't it right in your wiring harness documentation? "Just pretend" you are wiring a GM LOL

WHAT IS THE PART NUMBER of your wiring harness kit?

My wiring kit is American autowire Power Plus 20. It has the wiring for the turn signals, hazards, etc plus horn and brake switch.

I'm using a stick column with ignition and the harness says to cut off the stock connector and use the GM one. But doesn't say what goes where.

Riddler

Oh, I though you were using a GM column and GM switch. You are wiring a Mopar with a Mopar column and switch? All you are doing is using a different CONNECTOR. It really doesn't matter too much which goes where, as long as the correct wire gets to the correct terminal of the switch. Post back if you need help with that.

Can't you post a link to the part number of your harness?

Is this it? 510008

Power Plus 20 Wiring System | American Autowire

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLink/92968433 510008 IN 3.0.pdf

Found this on page 5 of the above pdf

switchIGN.jpg

We need the year / model of your car.

Basically, if you still have a ballast resistor, you must run an additional wire from IGN2 on the ignition switch to the coil+ side of the ballast.

If you are NOT going to run a ballast type ignition, jumper IGN1 and IGN2 together at the switch.

Below, picking out of the sky, is '71 wiring

71IGN.jpg

So regardless of which terminals you use for what in the GM connector, you need Mopar J1-12R (RED) hooked to the AutoWire RED (Bat)

S2-18Y (YELLOW) hooked to the AW VIOLET (start)

Q2-12BK (BLACK hooked to the AW BROWN (ACC)

J2-16DBL (DarkBLue) hooked to the AW PINK (IGN run)

J3-14BR (BROWN) either run a wire to coil+ for ballast bypass or jumper to J2 if no ballast used

J1-12R (RED) hooked to AW RED (BAT)

Last edited:
Wow your amazing. I've got a 76 Duster. The GM connector has some wires in it and I want to make sure it's wired correctly.

I'm not planning to use a ballist resistor as I'm running a 6.1L hemi.

I have everything understood as I matched up the wires at the column. However I don't have z Start (violet) wire in my AW wiring. Does this wire have to be added from the clutch safety switch?

Riddler

Found the purple wire. It was located in another part of the kit. It runs from the starter solenoid to the neutral safety switch and then to the yellow wire off the column.

@67Dart273 When you say jumper the brown wire (IGN 2) over to the dark blue wire (IGN 1). Am I just tapping these together and then putting that wire into the connector port for IGN 1? Or does IGN2 go somewhere and then just have a jumper wire between IGN 1 and IGN 2?

Thanks,

Riddler

The IGN 1 and 2 get spliced together. Originally 1 was "ignition run" and powered the ballast and coil, amoung other things. IGN2 was start voltage to the coil. The reason you must jumper them is that IGN1 goes dead during start.

Found the purple wire. It was located in another part of the kit. It runs from the starter solenoid to the neutral safety switch and then to the yellow wire off the column.

@67Dart273 When you say jumper the brown wire (IGN 2) over to the dark blue wire (IGN 1). Am I just tapping these together and then putting that wire into the connector port for IGN 1? Or does IGN2 go somewhere and then just have a jumper wire between IGN 1 and IGN 2?

Thanks,

Riddler

This sounds like GM wiring. Mopars don't wire like that. The NSS grounds one of the starter relay terminals on Mopars.

Yeah I'm using GM wiring harness colours and such. I'm pretty sure I've got it all figured out now. Just need to find the time to get to it.

Thank you.

Riddler

That's not what I mean. The neutral switch on Mopars is not wired as you describe. It grounds one terminal of the starter relay rather than being in series wire to wire

-
Back