Wiring Electric Fans

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I just got a New Aluminum radiator and dual 12in fans. How do I wire them? and would it be a good idea to get the Flex-a-lite Variable speed controller? That way I can keep the temp between 180-190 on the street and lower on the track between runs.

I just got a New Aluminum radiator and dual 12in fans. How do I wire them? and would it be a good idea to get the Flex-a-lite Variable speed controller? That way I can keep the temp between 180-190 on the street and lower on the track between runs.

well when u going down the track they shouldn't be one if u can help it... just get two 40amp relays and wire them to a switch and/or a temp sensor that grounds...

Oh I know that, but for cooling the car down between runs. And its more street so the variable switch is a good idea, but wanted to see what others thought

Oh I know that, but for cooling the car down between runs. And its more street so the variable switch is a good idea, but wanted to see what others thought

You could still use a single temp switch for controling the fans and use an override switch at the track. Saves you from having to adjust a variable controller all the time. Definately use the two relays. Also use two main power fuses. Basically wire each fan up as a seperate unit, you can use you a single switch signal and temp switch, this way, if you lose one fan, you can limp home on the other.

i use separate relays and switches for each fan. I can turn them off and on when I want them to run. Works great for the track. No temperture switch.

I have a question for this again. On the back of the fans there are 2 wires a red and a blue or it might be black, but if its blue is that the ground?

I have a question for this again. On the back of the fans there are 2 wires a red and a blue or it might be black, but if its blue is that the ground?

The long explanation would be, yep. Just make sure the fans are turning in the right direction when you power them up.

The long explanation would be, yep. Just make sure the fans are turning in the right direction when you power them up.

haha i hooked mine up backwards once... was running warmer then i though it should... drove home and walked around the front of the car and burned my leg on the bumper!!

So if I hook the wire up wrong, the fans will spin the wrong way? But if they are mounted behind the radiator would it matter? Since spinning the wrong way would make push or pull fan?

Yes!

If your fan is behind the radiator you definitely want them to spin in the correct direction to be puller fans. You always want to draw the fresh in air in from the grille.

My be cool set up has two relays and a temp. switch in the block. They kick on and off just when you want them to and cool it real nice, but there is alot of wires to run.

man I apologize for not getting back to your PM.
You definetly want to make sure you wire the fans up as Pullers.
Mount the fans on the radiator...and test them with Red on Pos. and Blue on Neg and see if they pull or push....You want them to PULL if they are to be mounted in the engine bay.
I have my fans wired to (1) 40A relay, through a 3 post illuminated switch which lights up when the fans are ON.

The switch and relay are on a isolated 30A fuse protected circuit from the rest of the cars electronics....wired directly to the battery. I didnt want my ignition voltage, or headlights, or anything else to suffer when the fans were on.

I have run the car for about 30 minutes and brought it up to Thermostat temp and circulated the coolant and I have ran the fans for over 15 minutes straight. It takes awhile for my temp gauge to move but it does.

Intially when I turn the fans on the Ammeter shows about 20A CHARGE then it drops down to about 5A charge after a minute or two.
I am using a 87' Fifth Avenue 85A alternator...so hopefully it can carry everything.

Sorry I dont have a better performance review but I look forward to seeing if THIS RADIATOR will cool 750hp like Champion says it will....so we shall see.

Again, sorry I havent gotten back to you, its been on my mind.
I can whip up a quick electrical diagram if you want me to.

Kelly

Ya so after some thinking....this is how I did it....right, wrong....It works, and I did it for less than $5.00

FanCircuit.jpg

enjoy

opps 1 more Q! Where did you get your relays? I want to run it like yours because I also have HID headlights, Gauges, MSD

meet me in chat....I'll pass you a link to the relay I used.

Kelly

sorry got in late, was it online or at a store? And I actually might have some at home i think. I will need to look hopefully I didnt toss them :/

where do i get the correct temp sender? Or use that link to wire without a temp sender. I think What I could do is wire both fans to different switches and fun one fan on and one off when at the correct temp?

-
Back