Wiring for an msd dist and coil

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
I've got a 74 /6 duster. Pulled the /6 and dropped in a 340, with an msd pro billet "ready to run" dist and a blaster coil. Can anyone give me some info on what to hook up and what to remove, ect? The car still has all the original wiring in it. I have no idea if this matters, but I'm still running the 3 wire alt on it. I've looked at the msd diagrams, and I get that, but do I still run the control module and resistor? Do I use the original coil (+) wire as my ignition source? And what do I do with the original coil (-) wire? Really wanting to get this thing fired up for the first time, but I'm pretty new to wiring...

Probably the easiest way to do this is to hook all connections on the ballast together as one. Use your old coil + wire for power to the MSD

The old coil neg wire only goes to the ECU connector, so it's dead.

Alternator not a concern as long as you get the resistor all bypassed. You can get some male 1/4 spade connectors, and make a "Y" cable to plug them together

One of the wires off the ballast goes to the ECU and is not needed, but won't hurt if jumpered.

I'm assuming you have a 4 terminal ballast?

This gives you an idea of the factory 5 pin ECU / 4 pin resistor setup COLORS may not be correct

attachment.php

If you want to clean up the wiring, you'll have to carefully unwrap the harness, just start at the ECU connector and follow it

Ok, that's exactly what I needed to know! Yes, I still have the 4 post resister on it, as well as a 2 post sitting in my toolbox.

-
Back